Hi this is my first visit. Hope you can help.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sketchy, Mar 27, 2006.

1. sketchy

sketchy

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I have a problem. When i cook tinned plum tomatos or pasatta to make a sauce for pizza or pasta i get a nasty after taste even if i use sugar. The only way i can avoid this is to remove the tomatos from the tin, cut the top off squeeze out the juice and the cook in a pan with clean water as the sauce of liquid. This is very wastefull as i end up throwing awry half a tin of juice and i am sure there must be another way. Does anyone else have this problem or am i missing somthing. hope you can help. Thanks

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Sketchy and welcome to Chef Talk. I hope you'll return to the Welcome Forum to introduce yourself.

However, you've posted a cooking question there, so I'm going to move your post to an appropriate forum so it'll get the answers you're hoping for.

Good luck, and come back to Chef Talk often!

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

3. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    All canned (tinned) tomatoes are not equal. If you are not using the very best quality you will get an off taste from the can. You should try to find a type of tomato called San Marzano if possible. it is generally considerd to be the best tasting. At the least you should be buying organic tomatoes. Also, check the label and see that is contains tomatoes in their juices. If it says tomatoes in sauce, they have most likely been precooked and that can affect the taste too.

You may think it is a waste but try this:
    Open the whole canned tomato and drain off the seeds and some of the juices. Set the drained tomoatoes on a sheet pan and roast them in a 400 degree F oven (205 C) till the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes begin to brown at the edges. This will concentrate the tomato flavor. Scrape the tomatoes into your sause base.

Where do you live that sells "tinned" tomatoes?

Jock