Hi. I'm Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Jun 7, 2021
HI. I go by the handle of Chief Longwind of the North. I hail from Michigan’s Eastern Upper Peninsula, home to some of the best hunting, fishing, and wild edible gathering in the world, including mushrooms. Unfortunately, it is made up of a lot of wetlands, and produces hordes of biting bugs.

We make our own maple syrup from gathering, then boiling the sap as well. We have honey producers, and growers of everything from apples to cranberries, to all kinds of fresh produce, from beans, to zucchini, and berries, and grains of all kinds. Michigan is a huge agricultural state. Sweet corn, naturally.

My love of food started about the time I was old enogh to swallow. I consumed two helpings at every meal, even at school lunches. I was a skinny, extra small kid who burned up a whle lot of energy. Fortunately, my Mother. Father, Grandparents, even the school cooks made exceptional, well balanced meals. My Mon was half owner of a successful bakery, with her brother. They made all kinds of pastries, Pasties, breads, cakes, and other delights. She also made home made candies, and confections for holidays.

My first cooking lessons came from my Dad, who taught me to make pancakes fro a pre-mix. Then came basted, runny yolk eggs, taught to me by my stepfather. I started experimenting on my own at about age eleven, lightly pan frying a pork chop in butter until just starting to brown. I seasoned with salt and pepper, put in 2 tbs. Of Sherry wine, covered, and cooked for two minutes more. The pork chops were actually better than what my Dad made, as he was a heavy smoker, and over salted his chops, as well as overcooking them to eliminate any chance of trichinosis. Mine were tender, and juicy, with that hint of wine giving an added complexity to the flavor profile. From that point on, I was questioning everything about cooking, and learning correct technique for all kinds of foods.

I served in the I/S/ Navy for ten years, and had the chance to experience foods from all over the Pacific, Memphis barbecue, and the varied Hispanic, Spanish, and fresh produce foods fro Southern California. I had to learn how to make them all. I developed the ability to identify the herbs, s[ices,, flavors, and textures of the foods I ate, allowing me to re-create foods that I enjoyed. Of course, along the way, with my need for creativity, I made up my own recipes as well. On another cooking site, at my church, and everywhere I have lived, I have given out my recipe for my own pancakes, made fro. scratch. It’s the only recipe that is allowed at our annual Church Pancake Breakfast, as determined by the members, not me. Everyone tells me that they are the best, and easiest pancakes ever. They were voted best pancake recipe in a pancake contest at another cooking site. It took a few years of trial, and error to get perfect smoked, and oven roasted turkeys. I have made them, by request for wedding receptions..

I have one desert contests for cakes, pies, and pastries, as well as a chili cookoff. I catered both of my daughter's wedding receptions, one with roasted quail, and smoked ham with a honey-mustard glaze, and with hone-made mashed sweet potatoes, and the other a desert reception, for which I cooked cookies, pies, cakes, and all kinds of pastries for three days in perpetration. Both were huge successes. I am a home, gourmet cook, with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering. I use my artistic side, my engineering skills, ad discipline, and my knowledge of both physics, and chemistry to help me crate the foods I ]love, and the best techniques for making them. . Try it out and see if it isn’t as good as people tell me.

Chief’s Pancake Recipe

The key to these pancakes is proper technique. Follow this recipe and you will be known as the pancake king or queen of your household.

Dry Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tbs. Sugar, honey, or sweetener of choice \

½ tsp. salt

1 tbs. Double-acting baking powder (Calumet or Clabber Girl brand)

Wet Ingredients”

¾ cup milk

3 tbs. Cooking oil

1 large egg.

Preheat an electric griddle, or suitable non-stick, or cast-ion pan. For an electric griddle, heat to 370 degrees. For the other two pans, heat until water dances on the surface.

Combine all dry ingredients into a large, stainless steel, glass, or plastic bowl with a wire whisk. Add the wet ingredients and stir until blended in. But do not over mix as this will toughen the pancakes. Leave small lumps in the batter. They will disappear as the pancakes cook.

Spoon the three to four tbs. of batter onto the cooking surface. If I catch you squishing the cooking pancakes with a spatula, I’ll come over and whap your hands. Once they are cooking, leave them alone! Turn when bubble appear on the surface, and just start to pop, but before they remain open. Flip and cook for about forty more seconds, or until the edges just start to lift from the pan. For crispy edges, add butter to the pan before putting in the batter.

Remove and serve immediately.

I really hope I can share what I know here, and learn from you as well.

Oh, and here’s my famous pancake recipe

Other interests:

Archery

Tying fishing flies

Canoeing

Building custom fishing rods of all types.

Writing Fantasy, and Science fiction novels

Sharing my cooking skills with everyone

Writing Cookbooks

A cooking blog/tutorial (now with recipes for dialysis patients special dietary needs)

Teaching my own children (adults now), and grandchildren all of the skills and knowledge that I have

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Heyo Chief! Fancy meeting you here! Take a look at the June 2021 challenge -- Flour. Give it a try!
Looking forward to your posts here on Cheftalk.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Welcome Chief. That is a great intro hope you enjoy the ChefTalk community.

Latest posts

Top Bottom