Hi from VA!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by chefamber, Feb 1, 2010.

1. chefamber

chefamber

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello. My name is Amber. I'm a hobby "cook" with no formal culinary training. I have three children and stay at home so I spend much of my day trying out recipes and techniques in my own kitchen. I recently looked in to formal training, but don't know if any of the culinary schools in my area are decent (washington DC).

:roll::roll::roll:

2. chefamber

chefamber

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thought i posted an intro earlier, but still new to site so I must have screwed up!

I'm a hobby chef. Stay at home mom with a design company and I have tons of time to cook which is a great passion of mine! Recently looked into more formal training but cannot figure out which culinary schools in DC are good ones.

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Amber and welcome to Chef Talk. Home cooks like you and I learn a lot by trial and error, and eventually we become excellent home cooks. Reading, learning and sharing here is one way to reach that higher level faster.

Besides these discussion forums, we have cooking articles, a photo gallery and the Global Chefs' newsletter. Home cooks like you and I are not permitted to post in the Professionals' forums, but I encourage you to read, read, read there! We're all free to post in the general forums.

How did you start cooking? Was there a person such as a member of your family who inspired you?

Please take time to look around and let us know if you have questions.
    Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

4. chefamber

chefamber

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My mom was a great cook so I am sure thats where my inspiration came from. Being a chef was something I didn't think I could make a living at (these were pre-internet thoughts) and I went to college for business instead. I worked at a restaurant as a server for a while and loved that but never as a line cook or chef. Anyway I am entering my first baking contest this month and am pretty excited to finally be active in the cooking community! And hubby and I are planning a vacation at the CIA this spring...very excited about that!

Thanks for the welcome! Love your signature quote, use it all the time!! Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Amber