Hi from Memphis

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by skilletlicker, Aug 19, 2005.

1. skilletlicker

skilletlicker

Thanks for a great forum?

I'm a middle aged man learning to cook my own meals. I'm interested in techniques and menus, mainly from scratch, using inexpensive or moderately priced ingredients. Cooking for one I need very small quantities or the ability to store without losing quality.

This is becoming a hobby and I look forward to hearing about your knowledge and experience.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Skilletlicker, and welcome to Chef Talk. Between the professionals and the non-pros, we should be able to come up with some ideas for you.

This question is worth a whole thread! I am going to move your question to the Cooking Questions thread so you can get the optimum number of answers.

Enjoy the site! If you like, you can use the search button to look for older threads on topics that interest you.

My first suggestion to you would be to purchase a FoodSaver or other high-quality vacuum sealing machine. That way you can cook regular recipes of many foods, portion them and freeze them for future use. I love mine! You can even reheat the food still in their sealed bags. No more dried-out leftovers.

Second, you may be tempted to use processed foods. Please try to stay away from them as much as possible! You'll get better nutrition, fewer chemicals, less sodium and fat by making your own versions of recipes.

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

3. skilletlicker

skilletlicker

First I apologize for the question mark at the end of the first line in the original post. Of course it was intended as an exclamation point.

Thanks for the food saver recommendation. I've considered them but didn't know if they were really any better than zip-lock bags. I'll take your advice.

I do mainly avoid processed foods but it seems all a matter of degree. For instance I like Mexican and have gone from TV dinners to store bought tortillas to masa harina to fresh masa. Now I'm considering dent corn and lime. Moderation has never been my strong suit.

Thanks again for your help and interest.

4. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There are zillions of quick ways to make great food and this site is loaded with ideas, I had a food saver before i moved to Italy and love to make a bunch of great ragu meat sauce and then freeze them in plastic containers, when frozen when used the food saver. Also in a pinch, I will buy a few steaks, season them different ways and freeze and use the food saver. Good luck and good eating.

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Soups, stews, sauces....freeze well.

Cooking a whole chicken then altering the remains to give it different flavors...I HATE eating leftovers that are the same. It's boring.
    Stocking your freezer with in season berries, fruits, etc.....I char, seed and peel peppers/mainly pimentos in season and freeze them... pestos too....that way I can bulk buy and have numerous jars to pull out for seasoning dishes.
    It's difficult having a large variety of food and not having it go to waste when your cooking for one.
    I end up shopping at the farmer's markets then having baskets full of food....between going out to eat or just not eating as much as my baskets hold there seems to be a gap. It's good to have a brother with 5 hungry growing children across town. So, I empathize with your predicament....for it is often mine.