Hi All

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by hexnymph, Apr 16, 2003.

1. hexnymph

hexnymph

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm not a "chef" but I play one at home. I enjoy making things from scratch. I enjoy trying new foods any chance I get. I have all ready seen another thread in my "lurking" that stated somthing along the lines of "I used to be an extremely picky eater, and now I'm trying to catch up on all the things I missed"... well, that's kind of along my lines.

I enjoy harvesting the goods from nature when I get the chance... and alway interested in hearing about others bounty. (Living in the U.P. reduces the time allowed for that due to the snow)

Have enjoyed what I have read so far and I will probably continue to lurk around here till I have more questions...

I don't own, nor care to, a "mirco-wave".

My first question is:
    When using a plank to cook fish... how many uses does said plank have (Cedar)?

Thanks,
    Hexnymph

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hey dere, Hexnymph, and welcome to Chef Talk. I'm not sure if you're the first member to hail from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but you must may be.

Since I'm from 'way down south (southeastern Wisconsin, that is), I'm not sure what produce you enjoy each season where you are. Berries in summer? Apples in fall? I see you're on a bay of Lake Superior- what fish can you get?

Your planking question may well be answered here in the welcome forum, but you may attract more answers if you post it in either the seafood or cooking questions forum.

We're glad you're here!

Mezzaluna

3. hexnymph

hexnymph

We have an ample supply of Lake Trout, Salmon, White fish, perch, walleye, the occasional herring, and this is currently smelt season... but I haven't seen them in the rivers yet.

Berry season is pretty good up here and apple tree's seem to be growing everywhere. Thimble berries seem to be the big thing up here but wild blue berries and strawberries are prevelant also.

Thanks for your response,
    Hexnymph

P.S. I inquiered with one of my friends on the plank deal and ended up trying it last night with some lake trout. Turned out wonderful but I didn't notice too much flavor introduced by the cedar. Could be that my whole house took on the aroma of cedar while it was in the oven and I just didn't notice the flavor... or... I tried a different "dressing" that was pretty overpowering.

4. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome aboard!

When I plank fish, I generally apply some heat to the plank then put the fish on it. The wood will start to emit some of its flavor with the initial heating.

Again, welcome!
    -Jim

5. mike

mike

what on earth is plank cooking it sounds different & is something
    im keen to try...is it just for fish ? do you season with a rub or marinade? or is the flavour from the wood.. ps anyone know what to do in culinary terms with apple tree branches.
    chow

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Check out:
    Planking Thread in Cook's Corner for some info on Planking.