Hey ShroomGirl!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefkell, Aug 13, 2003.

1. chefkell

chefkell

Just wanted to say thanks to you and Jon!

Went to the woods yesterday to set my treestand for bow season and found TONS of chantarelles. I never new they grew here, and would have never even looked twice at them had I not read about your finds here. I picked about 40 lbs and didn't hit 1/16 of the area.

How long will they grow? I have no idea about the cycle on these. Are they 2-3 days or do I have a week or 3 weeks to still find them? Never found an edible mushroom before, so I'm hoping you can help.
    Thanks!

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    It's variable, i found a ton 1 1/2 weeks ago, went out a week later and it was alot drier and the chanterelles were not close to the plentiful bounty I found the week before...the season generally lasts a while but you'll never know when it will end. If you know where they are go get them ASAP...they may be gone next time you look.

3. cookinscool

cookinscool

I'm jealous! I wish i could go into the woods and pick chantrelles. Where do they usually grow...like what parts of the US? I might have to make moving arrangements.

4. chefkell

chefkell

Thanks....looks like I better get back out there.

I'm not sure where they grow myself...I live in Michigan and had no idea they grew here till I found them. I found mine in dark hardwoods with many fallen/ decomposing trees.

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Chanterelles grow under oak trees . They have a symbiotic relationship. Other shrooms grow on different medium...contact your local Mushroom group NAMA North American Mycological Association has groups all over the USA. they generally have mycologist (mushroom guys) amoungst their members and they can recommend books , hunting ground and will look and identify shrooms. They are available everywhere, except the desert.

6. hexnymph

hexnymph

I decided to check out the forest here and came upon my first patch of chanterelles here.... unfortunatly it's been hot and dry up here so they were not very plentiful. Found a couple edible boletus also.

Been so busy berry pickin I haven't been paying attention to what else is going on in the woods.... besides the berries and keeping an eye out for other territorial omnivores.

Hex