Heritage chicken

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by millionsknives, Jul 15, 2014.

1. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    My butcher started selling a heritage chicken breed.  It's around $15 for a whole chicken. 

Are they worth it?  Deeper flavor? More gamey?

2. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If your butcher wants you .as a good and regular customer he should give you one for FREE for you to try out !

3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That would be nice!

4. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Depends on the breed I guess. But definitely worth a try. I occasionally get my hands on some (decidedly non-local) Bresse chickens - and Good Lord, that makes a difference... In that case, deeper flavour. Not gamey at all, but if you have a standard chicken after that, you think you'd chew on cardboard.

5. cjbuchholz

cjbuchholz

Exp:
    At home cook
    Any particular cooking techniques recommended for the Bresse or Dark Cornish chickens as opposed to the cornish cross?

6. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I haven't tried those but that seems like a very reasonable price. Organic Roasters at Whole foods here are $2.99 a pound so typically in the $15-18 range for a whole bird. While the pound price might seem a bit high they are a very good value compared to so many others I see now with a water logged diaper and water injected into the bird.

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A number of the Chinese markets I frequent have silkie chickens, frozen. I may have to try one someday.

mjb.

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    They have fresh (and even live) silkies around here. I never had the heart to try.... I should! :D