herbs to apple shortcake

Joined Aug 25, 2016
Hi everyone,

What are some suggestions in changing up an apple shortcake, I was thinking fresh finely chopped rosemary in the shortbread, any other ideas, tips welcomed.

Thanks

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Lavender? I like lavender, and of garnish with candied flowers.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Rosemay and lavender work well, but bayleaf, when you think about it is a very neutural "background" type of herb. Works well with savoury and sweet. Try infusing bay in a creme anglaise, or in a rice pudding.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I made a a blueberry bread pudding with my leftover herb de provence bread. I thought it turned out lovely but the waitstaff didn't sell it. Arrrrrgh! Every piece that got sold were to people I went out and sold it to.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I'm a few days late, but I totally agree with flipflopgirl; sage makes a great accompaniment to apples. Add in a little maple and you've really got something, IMHO.

Joined Jun 28, 2017
Calvados is lovely for reinforcing apple flavor, saute the apples in a bit of brown butter and then deglaze... add a touch of dark honey and let the calvados, brown butter and honey glaze the apples.. oh my... for me, that with the bay anglaise foodpump foodpump suggested would be heaven.

Love the sage and rosemary ideas as well.

And now I'm really hungry for apple shortcake and we won't have good cooking apples here for a while. Thanks so much everybody. :(...

Top Bottom