herb & spice combinations

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by foodie4life, Jan 27, 2010.

1. foodie4life

foodie4life

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Just looking for some herb/spice combination recommendations. More savory, but sweet are welcome too.

2. damack

damack

Exp:
    Line Cook
    what is it for? meat? what kind of meat?

3. xjmrufinix

xjmrufinix

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    this is an incredibly broad question. you will probably get more feedback if you specified what you're cooking.

4. foodie4life

foodie4life

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am infusing oils for a line of gourmet popcorns i been asked to create. just looking for some ideas.

5. chris.lawrence

chris.lawrence

Exp:
    Former Chef
    its still, unfortunately a too broad a question, as it appears that almost any combination of anything will be okay here? are there any perameters? any expectations?

you could always check out this website; its one of my favourites, and I've created some magical flavour combinations with it when I have little experience with the particular ingredients: FoodPairing - Combining foods for new tastes

6. paulgreen3

paulgreen3

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Look online for the book - Herb Mixtures & Spicy Blends by Maggie Oster.

7. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    for popcorn eh? You been working on this a while iirc.  Garlic, ginger and soy.  honey mustard.  rosemary and thyme with a hint of anise.  Mae Ploy, I love this stuff.  caramelized onions. butternut and tarragon with coconut milk and coriander.  there is the whole realm of curries in general or trying for Chili verde or Chili Colorado

8. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i infuse Pomace oil with garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, fresh oregano/marjoram, and chopped chilli peppers. 

place the oil and herbs, garlic, chilli's etc in a thick bottomed pan and heat slowly to a temperature of  90deg celcius no higher, take of the heat and leave to cool before using. then gently warm the oil through before using as desired either in a bain marie or microwave

9. gerdosh

gerdosh

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Don't forget ground hot chili--it goes great with popcorn. I dust my freshly popped popcorn with very finely ground salt and a little chili--yum!

George (author of What Recipes Don't Telll You)