Herb Demos

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, May 27, 2002.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Been demoing herbs recently......Tarragon, dillweed, parsley lemongrass with shroom risotto.
    Orange garlic tarragon dressing on a baby lettuce, fennel salad
    Peanut butter, ginger, cilantro, Thai basil, jalepino, orange zest, garlic dressing on baby greens with red onions, red peppers, grapes, heart of palm, asparagus....

So any ideas for other herb demos...usually you have an hour to talk and mix and serve/eat. It is also usually NOT in a kitchen or near one.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Add basil leaves to an italian style sandwich along with the lettuce. A fun change in sandwiches.

Phil

3. alexia

alexia

If you're willing to make the squash ravioli in advance, you could try ravioli with (brown) sage butter. Gnocchi would be good with it, too. (I make my filling a little on the sweet/cinnamon flavored side)

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chilled cucumber and dill soup

watercress and orange soup

Dandelion salad with bacon

Leeks steamed with elderflower wine

Explore all the types of fines herb blends, and roll in unripened goat cheese

Herb oils and vinagers

herb marinades (cooked and uncooked)

rose petal butter

herbed cheeses..garlic and thyme, yogurts with herbs

cold duck with mint

Grains and legumes, cooked before hand and flavored with a variaty of herbs and infused oils and vinagers

Bergamont,tomato/cinnomon,mint,rosehip,morella cherry and vanilla jams and jellies

apples with anice hyssop

blueberry melon compote with lemon bergomant sauce

Shroom, just a few ideas to think about.
    If you want recipes PM me
    cc

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Vanilla jelly???

Forgot about grain salad, havn't done them in forever.....
    run through garlic oil for me....seems like you have to be really careful wiht the shelf life of that one going toxic.
    I used to make wild rice with oranges, roasted pecans, sauteed red onion, roasted garlic, green onions and tarragon....great with cornish hens or duck...shoot chicken too, oh yeah seems like I made an orange tarragon viniager dressing for it too, served as a cold salad on a HOT day. Herb Days are generally in April or May so I emphasize summer foods.
    Thanks guys.....

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroom,

The cherry/vanilla jelly I warm in a pan to melt, and then toss it with bloomed wild rice and serve it with magret or venison.
    Really good :)

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    So you take cherry jam and add a vanilla bean?
    I heard vanilla is going to go sky high....typhoon in the vanilla region totally wiped out a crop, get it cheap while you can.