help

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bc89, Jun 2, 2005.

1. bc89

bc89

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    hi im bryan and i need help with creme brulee, i need help on tempering the eggs , because when i do it, it always curdles. in addition, if anyone has a unique creme brulee recipe or tip that they don't mind sharing, all the better. :chef:

Merci
    Bryan

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My brulee isn't cooked before baking. No tempering required. Bake covered, in a water bath just until set. 300 degrees F.

It's not unique, but it works!

3. 100folds

100folds

Depending on the egg size, this recipe may vary a little
    Yeilds: 12

6 cups cream
    4 vanilla beans
    16 egg yolks
    1 cup sugar

1. heat cream with vanilla beans, scald -- till almost boiling. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 min. -- infusion but you can also scrap the vanilla beans for the same effect. Remove vanilla beans

2. Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale.
    Now you can do one of two things
    a) Add cream then pour in a pan over low heat and stir until mixture thickens. Do not boil otherwise you mixture will curdle -- the eggs coagulate or cook. The mixture just needs to coat the back of a spoon. I think you are cooking it too long. Now you pour into your brulee dishes and let it set in the fridge before carring on.

b) Add cream to egg mixture and pour into brulee dishes. Place in a hotel pan with a little water in the pan. Bake at 300 for roughly 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs. Till the custard set. Make sure there is always 1 inch of water in the pan at all times. I find it helps set the custard unformly

The baking is better because you are not adding direct heat onto the eggs but at the same time you have to find the sweet spot for the temperature of the oven. Try this method once and it will tell you if your oven was too hot or too low. Do not use a convection oven for this as it will dry your brulees out. Also, it may be neccessary to cover your brulee for the first 20 min to get the process going, Ive had to do this on certain occassions when the person who made the mix didn't do it properly.
    Most importantly, write everything down so you know what you did and so you can repeat it or try something else.

Good luck

4. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    If it curdles when you temper, you're just not stirring fast enough or you're adding too much hot liquid at a time. i have a hard time doing it by myself because it takes so much coordination to stir with one hand and hold a heavy pot up while pouring with the other, i usually try to get someone to help me. id say try that and also strain the mixture before you bake. i dont suggest you use a cold meathod though. i think the heated meathod comes out with a much smother product.

Chocolate kisses :lips:
    Coffee kitten

oh if you'd like my recipie just privatemessage me

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    trouble with tempering the eggs with liquid or tempering the eggs with sugar?

6. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    why would you have a problem tempering the eggs with sugar?

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I temper egg yolks, whole eggs with sugar over heat for many recipies.