Help with sharpening

Joined Dec 18, 2016
Hi all.little introduction.i got some global knifes and Going to order a gesshin ginga :) and Iam also left handed

Recently I started learning to sharpen so I got some stones.

A king 250/1000 a global 1000 and a king 5000.i know they aren't the best but they were cheap.

I watched a lot of videos several weeks to start understand how to do it from some people I understood from IMHO that seemed good including Jon broida and a guy named ryky tran from YouTube.

serious not that Iam left handed and also I sharpen with only my left with the Japanese way.

So get in the subject I thought to sharpen first a small knife to see how it goes so I sharpened first my small Chefknife 13cm which was unsharpened 1.5 year.

I will post some photos and videos to tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it maybe.the knife seems sharper than it was when I got it tbh it can cut newspaper and shave also but I think the bevels aren't even.

Knife seems awesome when Iam rocking but e.g when I push cut some mushrooms I see that it haven't completely cut the mushroom from the bottom.the bevel and the mirror edge seems bigger from the left side of the knife than the right.can I fix this or it doesn't matter a lot?

Iam not a professional just a guy who love knives and cooking.

\Here are some pics and a small video to tell me your opinion

Joined Oct 9, 2008
It looks good. I'm concerned about the mushroom thing, but I don't quite understand what you're saying about that. Can you explain in more detail?

Joined Dec 18, 2016
My English aren't the best so give me a break.

I mean when Iam push cuting e.g. A mushroom or a tomato I make clean cuts but some or most of the pieces I. Cut are connected with each other from the bottom side.

Don't know if you understood it now.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
@gargaras   welcome to cheftalk.  Most japanese knife are sharpened asymmetric.  The left bevel for you should be bigger.   That is, I would sharpen the left side at like 15 degrees, and the right side at 12 degrees angle approximately.    This matters on certain knives based on how they are ground.  If your bevel is different than the grind of the knife and your handedness are intended for the knife will "steer" or go off in one direction or other as you cut.  With a 'laser' or very thin ground knife like gesshin ginga, it does not matter as much, so I think that is a very good choice for a lefty.

The issue not cutting all the way through has to do with your technique.  You should cut down with the knife but also forward (push cut) or backwards (pull cut) this ensures some part of the blade will cut all the way through.

Joined Aug 6, 2015

@gargaras    The left bevel for you should be bigger.   That is, I would sharpen the left side at like 15 degrees, and the right side at 12 degrees angle approximately.    This matters on certain knives based on how they are ground.  If your bevel is different than the grind of the knife and your handedness are intended for the knife will "steer" or go off in one direction or other as you cut.  With a 'laser' or very thin ground knife like gesshin ginga, it does not matter as much, so I think that is a very good choice for a lefty.
The way I'm visualizing, the right bevel (edge down perspective) will be a little bigger?

Good choice on going for a thin knife. As a lefty you should be able to get away with sharpening it with symmetrical bevels or a little left or right biased without much effect.

Joined Dec 18, 2016
Thanks for all the replies and the answers guys.

So let me explain some things and maybe you can help me more like that.

I didn't use at all the 250 cause I was afraid that I would eat too much steel as a noob that Iam.
I completely focused on 1k and 5k.and tried mostly to apply more pressure in edge trailing motion than the edge leading which seemed a lot difficult.

Because Iam a noob my process was do 3 passes on left side and stop to feel the burr.when I felt that some parts of the knife haven't developed the same burr , i insisted a little more to create an even burr in the whole blade and then I switched in the other side to do the same. And then stroping with J strokes to remove the burr.same thing in the 5k.

After all that I used newspaper for some stroping.

I made anew little video to see how the knife performs in paper.

Joined Dec 18, 2016
One more question cause I posted something with a link in YouTube but it's not posted cause moderator needs to accept.

Maybe it's a stupid question but the bevel I see that shines like mirror is the secondary bevel or the cuting bevel or it's thinning I did to the knife?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Well actually the bevel is pretty wide, so what you very likely may have there is a convex grind, or a very thick edge, or perhaps a combination of both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom