Help with Macarons

Joined Apr 5, 2018
I have done so much research to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my macarons, but I just can't seem to figure it out. My problem is that the batter is literally turning into crumbs. I'll whip up the meringue and fold in about half of the flour mixture and then fold in the rest, but as I fold in the second half of the flour mixture, the batter just turns into legitimate crumbs (it kind of looks like when you beat sugar and butter together before it reaches the smooth state). I have no idea what to do or how to fix it. This is only my second time making macarons and I had the exact same problem my first time making them as well (different recipes).

Please help! :)

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi and welcome!

It sounds to me like your measurements may be off. Macarons require precise measurements of both the wet and dry ingredients more so by weight than by volume. It sounds like you may have made a mistake with the measurements of your dry ingredients. Also, try folding your meringue into your dry ingredients all at once. Halving the meringue can easily cause the meringue to "deflate" with too much folding.

Perhaps you should review your recipe for accuracy or try a new one altogether.

Good Luck. :)

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Firstly I would like to welcome you to Chef Talk.
If you haven't already done so check out the previous threads re macs (a lot of interesting and helpful info for your NEXT question lol ;-)
About your problem.
For a mac to be successful the almonds need to be ground just to the edge of butter then sifted to remove the larger grains.
I sift once straight from the grinder then a couple of times with the sugar.
I also wonder if you are taking your meringue too far as this will leave the whites dry and brittle and can cause them to shatter when worked.
HTH.

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Just saw your recipe comment.
Best to stick to one recipe when learning to trouble shoot.
Keeps things way simpler.

mimi

Joined Apr 5, 2018
Thank you for your replies. I don't have a kitchen scale (I'm in the process of getting one though) so I've been using recipes that use cup measurements so maybe that's just my problem. I use almond flour so I'm not quite sure about the ground sizes and stuff about that. I always have sifted it though. I tried making them again and it definitely helped to beat my meringue less and to fold all of it at once rather than halving it, but they were still a bit on the dry side. Luckily it wasn't so bad that it became crumbs...

Top Bottom