help with cookbooks

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by mackan110, Jan 21, 2016.

1. mackan110

mackan110

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hi, i know there is probably many questions about cookbooks etc 

Im pretty new to cooking (1 year in culinary school) and here we learn the basics but i would  like to read and understand why we cook as we cook  and also how the food react and also learn more about molecular gastronomy 

i know 

Harold Mcgee and Modernist cuisine but are there more books like those? thats good ?

I would also like an molecular gastronomy cookbook there they explain the techniques etc

Also, because molecular gastronomy use powder etc, is there a book you can read what they do and work ?

also, is there a book that talk about mixing flavors? like chuckled works with  chili, orange etc 

Thanks for the help!

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I recommend the following for a new cook. They test and re-test the formulas and discuss what works.
    Product: The Best Recipe

3. mackan110

mackan110

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks! I now got för next time i will shop. I bought ön food and cooking (mcgee) the new noma cookbook and Alina :)

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A few of that list aren't at the sort of detail you seem to be looking for. IMHO, skip

Cookwise

Bakewise

These mostly explore the highlevel effects of what's happening in home cooking and how to control for some of the common problems. 

Ratio More about how to cook from memory knowing some simple common concepts

The Science of Good Cooking  in the line Cookwise and Bakewise with high level science explanations of particular recipes. 

Of these 4, Ratio is the only cookbook I can recommend in general. I've read them all, but Ratio, I own. And it's not what you're looking for.