Help with Choosing Frying Pan .....

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by vja4him, Feb 22, 2015.

1. vja4him

vja4him

Exp:
    At home cook
    I would like to invest in a good/high quality large (12-inch) frying pan, but I don't like the nonstick coating that wears off. I'm looking for something that is easy to clean, not a serious problem with sticking, and if possible a glass lid.

What would you suggest ... ?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't usually see them sold with a lid. Tramontina makes a good pan in clad stainless at a reasonable price, but it doesn't come with a lid on its own.  Easy to clean in clad pans is mostly about using good technique and at least a little oil. One of the primary reasons food sticks is that the cook didn't let the food cook long enough. Most food will release itself or nearly release itself when that surface is cooked. 

Cast iron or carbon steel will release better than stainless steel and are very good pans, but come with some extra care and initial setup to season them properly. 

What are you cooking that is giving you trouble in clean up and we'll be able to recommend pan and technique combinations that work best together. 

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Go to a restaurant supply store, and buy commercial grade. Glass lids are not permitted in commercial kitchens(they break ) and could contaminate the food being cooked or any other foods that are around