Help, what to do with the beans.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jun 14, 2010.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I found these beautiful french dry beans that are like northern beans.  They were quite expensive and it was a small little pouch.  I've soaked them since yesterday and will be using them for a pasta e fagioli today but they have tripled in size and I can't use all of them, I can only use about half. 

What should I do with the rest of the already soaked beans?  How can I keep them?

2. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh Koukouvagia,

Northern White Bean Soup is my favorite! I  Saute Prosciutto and White Onion, Garlic ,Celery. Blend with Chicken or Veggie Stock .Wow, what a beautiful soup it is. Garnish with Prosciutto ,Fresh Saved Parm and a few Chives. S & P to your taste.

Pretty easy and you can freeze for a rainy day

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't want to cook them now, I'm already using more than I need for the pasta e fagiole.  I meant to ask that now that they have been soaked over night can I freeze them or keep them in the fridge until I can think of what to do with them? 

4. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well that is a very good question.

I would freeze them in small batches and I hope they are al dente or you will have a bit of mush on your hands when thawing.

Beans are a hearty addition to any dish but also delicate and need alot of TLC.

Refrigerate......depends on how long. Do you really want to eat beans twice in a week?

5. texancook

texancook

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    I would cook them how gypsy said and freeze the whole batch.

6. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    +1 for TexanCook. Cook it all up, and freeze it. It'll be fine. In fact, it'll be better: some of the beans will break down into mush as you reheat the stew, thickening it and making it really homestyle. Lots of people dig out a cup of beans and puree them -- you'll have it the all-natural way.

Or, of course, you could make any other bean stew and freeze that. I would NOT try to store already-soaked beans, as they begin to ferment quite quickly. (Which is why you, um, you know, the more you eat, the more you toot, that stuff.)