Help! What happened to my All-Clad pan?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jes269, Aug 26, 2014.

1. jes269

jes269

Exp:
    At home cook
    I bought my first All-Clad pan a few weeks ago and after it got a bit gunky from cooking, I dusted on some Barkeeper's Friend with some water and let it sit. (I know this wasn't exactly as per the instructions.) When I tried to wash it off, a white residue would not come off! I tried scrubbing it and even boiling some water in the pan, but nothing is working. I'm attaching a photo. What did I do!?

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Instead try to get the pan dry or almost dry, dust a couple Tbspn Barkeeper's Friend, and, if the pan was completely dry, just a tiny amount of water (1 teaspoon perhaps) and start scrubbing with a blue pad. Be patient and keep scrubbing right on the area that has the marks. 

3. jes269

jes269

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks. Is this some special blue pad? I just bought one of these: 

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I have had allclad for more years then I can remember. Haven't seen that yet. I personally think a good seasoning would do the trick, it looked like a sauté pan. right? I don't think you want to make the clad more pourus

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't know about these but at least it says they're non-scratch for stainless steel so you should be alright. For reference, here are the ones I use myself: 

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  6. jes269

jes269

Exp:
    At home cook
    Retrying the Barkeeper's Friend did not work! Does seasoning involve putting oil on the pan and heating? You think that will work without making things worse?

7. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Perhaps you can inspect it with a high power magnifying glass. It is possible that is not residue. That may be corrosion.

There is no such metal as "stainless" They are all just stain resistant in varying degrees.

Corrosion can be caused by chemicals, or in this case it is possible, if indeed that is corrosion, that was caused by galvanic action by two dissimilar metals in an electrolytic solution. For instance if you leave a spoon of a different metal (or alloy) in the liquid long enough, pitting can occur.

You may have to use a fine grit sandpaper to remove the blotches.

dcarch

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Before doing anything else call their customer service department.

Odds are they have seen this problem a zillion times.

Start off by asking if anyone else has called asking about this.

Could be a defective lot and if so they will replace with another pan.

mimi

9. luc_h

luc_h

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    spoiledbroth likes this.
  10. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    If it is a weird stain of some kind, try my simmered dishwasher detergent recipe - 1/4" water, tsp of D/W detergent, simmer for a few minutes WITH VENT FAN ON HIGH.  That has taken out any stain that I have so far achieved, some of them pretty impressive.

If it's minor corrosion, do you guys think a fine automotive rubbing compound might work it out? With a lot of elbow grease.  If that works, then season it.

Mike

11. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm curious, I have had, I believe the mc2 for years. The skillet never had the bottom as the regular pan. Do ya'll keep you sauté pans

bright and shiny? I have 2 that are well seasoned and never had a problem unless I tried to clean them. Sticking.

After use a little salt and re oil. Not nice to look at but work great. just saying

12. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have three that get almost daily use. A small sauce pan & two saute pans, one is copper clad on the outside & has a nice patina. I don't try to keep it all shiny. They all hang on the pot rack with the other pans.

13. luc_h

luc_h

Exp:
    Home Cook
    actually Mike, rubbing compound is a great idea.  You can also use Glass-ceramic cooktop cleaning cream; it's basically food grade rubbing compound.  Very useful to remove many stains on glass and steel.

Luc H.

14. jes269

jes269

Exp:
    At home cook
    So, I was unable to get the weird stain from before off. Now I have another, even bigger problem! I was doing a stir-fry the other day, and this happened. It looks like burnt oil. I can't get it off. Why is my pan having so many problems? Is this seriously my fault again?

Thanks.

15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'd be proud to own that pan.  It has finally lost its factory virginity and is starting to look like a real experienced piece of cookware.  Sincere congratulations - that is not a problem but more a badge of honour.  Keep using it and it will improve even more!

tweakz and spoiledbroth like this.
  16. jes269

jes269

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oh? I did not realize this is normal. Thanks!

17. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Girls are raised differently than boys, so this isn't sexist to say, but an observation on the results of sexism: Men tend to go with functionality over appearance. Women will think the pan needs cleaning, matching handles, etc.  The pan you show us now is slightly more protected from salt erosion, and should perform more along the lines of a non-stick pan.
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_(cookware)

'cosmetic reasons'

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  18. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's burnt oil. It will scrub off with some barkeepers friend or similar. It's part of why a saute pan is not ideal for stirfrying. 

19. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yeah. And it's not a manly pan. It's a dirt one.

20. jes269

jes269

Exp:
    At home cook
    More seasoning? Just as long as this is normal…