Help! Turkey wings and Salt

Joined May 6, 2015
So, this is my first time baking turkey wings. I added garlic powder,parsley,onion,paprika,pepper,some lemon,generous amount of Lawry's Seasoned Salt AND Morton Salt! Followed by flour and I added about a cup 1/2 of water to the roaster pan for the gravy.

My toddler kept crying I was in a rush and I rarely use Lawry salt, so I completely forgot it was salt as well. Should I be okay since this also has water.. I'm worried I use too much salt,anyways to fix this if so or should I just leave it as is?

I put it in the oven 375 at 3:30pm, it's currently 3:56pm.. I was going to rinse it off and start over but just decided maybe it should be okay.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi.

You are right. That is quite a bit of salt. But, all is not lost. What you can do is raise the wings up out of the pan liquid if they are in it. If you don't have anything like a roasting grate etc, just remove the liquid from the roasting pan. You don't want the wings sitting in briney water.

Roast the wings until they are good and crisp on the outside. You may want to bump the oven the temp to 400'f-425'f for the last 10 minutes or so in order to crisp up the skin. When they are done and have cooled, you should be able to remove the excess salt from the surface of the wings.

If the wings are still too salty, remove the skin. That's where 90% of the salt will absorb.

Interestingly, you have stumbled on one of the best ways to make either chicken or turkey wings. Next time, simply roast your wings plain with no seasoning. When they come out of the oven, toss them in a bowl of salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Shake off any excess salt and serve. Salt and pepper wings are extraordinarily good.

Good luck! :)

Joined May 6, 2015
Hi.

You are right. That is quite a bit of salt. But, all is not lost. What you can do is raise the wings up out of the pan liquid if they are in it. If you don't have anything like a roasting grate etc, just remove the liquid from the roasting pan. You don't want the wings sitting in briney water.

Roast the wings until they are good and crisp on the outside. You may want to bump the oven the temp to 400'f-425'f for the last 10 minutes or so in order to crisp up the skin. When they are done and have cooled, you should be able to remove the excess salt from the surface of the wings.

If the wings are still too salty, remove the skin. That's where 90% of the salt will absorb.

Interestingly, you have stumbled on one of the best ways to make either chicken or turkey wings. Next time, simply roast your wings plain with no seasoning. When they come out of the oven, toss them in a bowl of salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Shake off any excess salt and serve. Salt and pepper wings are extraordinarily good.

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much for the tip! Next time I will try them like that as well.

So, it's currently 4:44pm and the wings look a bit crispy. I decided to remove them from the water just in case it was too salty, and to my surprise I taste a bit of the turkey meat and the water *gravy* it was sitting on and it doesn't taste salty at all!! yess!! It actually just taste like seasoned turkey lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom