Help selecting meat for beef and noodles

Joined Nov 11, 2017
All,
Thank you for the previous advice on getting this meal ready. I went to Restaurant Depot as this is where our church has a membership. I saw names of meat I never heard of and need advice on what to buy for making the meat for the beef and noodles. Need to make for 100 servings. The meat I saw was called:
Bottom round flat
Chuck clod choice R/W
Top sirloin butt
Chuck roll neck / off
Chuck tender “Scottie select”

Any advice on which to buy is very welcomed.
Thank you everyone,
Mike

Joined Nov 27, 2012
give us your budget first. That would help in giving out advice. If you wanna go cheap as hell look for something full of tendons and braise the shit out of em. I personally love rose meat and neck bones to make a good broth. then again I am thinking asian style broth.

more details might help.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
If you can find them, beef short ribs are usually inexpensive, meaty, and have the right amount of fat and marrow. First, you roast t, until browned, after seasoning wit salt, pepper, and garlic, . Then, place in a large, heavy soup pot, covered with water, and plenty of onion halves. Cover, and simmer for three hours. remove the bones taking the marrow out of the. Cut the meat into bite sized pieces, and place back into the pot, with the marrow. Add cubed potatoes, sliced carrots, pearl onions, sliced celery, and minced cloves of garlic. Flavorings such as Maggi, Worcestershire sauce, A1 steak sauce, and Accent flavoring can be added. Simmer until veggies are tender. Make a brown roux from butter, and flour, with a bit of added salt. Transfer broth to pan with roux to mage a thick sauce. Add back into the soup pot to thicken the stew. Serve with mini loaves of fresh bread rolls, and butter.

You can also use bottom round, or chuck roast for stew meat.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Yep, bit more details, esp with regards to your recipe.
Are we looking at something like Pho? Or more like pasta bolognese? Or?
Also....
Is there not going to be a single vegetarian in such a big group?

Joined Nov 11, 2017
give us your budget first. That would help in giving out advice. If you wanna go cheap as hell look for something full of tendons and braise the shit out of em. I personally love rose meat and neck bones to make a good broth. then again I am thinking asian style broth.

more details might help.
The church has $500 for this. Others are bringing bread, and sides. I was asked to do the beef and noodles. This is country-style, gravy, beef, and noodles.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Well you will need 25-30 lbs of beef. A chuck roll will be a good choice. It will be tender and you can quick cook it. I would do something like this:

1) Cut into 1" cubes. Brown it but don't cook it all the way, remove.

2) Make a gravy with beef broth and roux.

3) Cook the noodles all the way and shock to stop the cooking.

4) 30 minutes before service, heat the gravy, add the beef cubes to finish cooking.

5) Rewarm the noodles by quick steaming them or blanching them in a pot of water and keep them warm.

6) Have the guests spoon up the noodles, and scoop their own beef with gravy.

If this seems too much, don't worry about reheating the noodles, just cook them last minute and scoop them right into the beef and gravy.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I had to google "country style beef and noodles", it's not something I ever came across and definitely not what I expected from the thread title ;)
I assumed a SE Asian dish, but that's just me

Joined Nov 11, 2017
Well you will need 25-30 lbs of beef. A chuck roll will be a good choice. It will be tender and you can quick cook it. I would do something like this:

1) Cut into 1" cubes. Brown it but don't cook it all the way, remove.

2) Make a gravy with beef broth and roux.

3) Cook the noodles all the way and shock to stop the cooking.

4) 30 minutes before service, heat the gravy, add the beef cubes to finish cooking.

5) Rewarm the noodles by quick steaming them or blanching them in a pot of water and keep them warm.

6) Have the guests spoon up the noodles, and scoop their own beef with gravy.

If this seems too much, don't worry about reheating the noodles, just cook them last minute and scoop them right into the beef and gravy.
Thank you so much! This is a life saver as I am doing this myself for the church. I gather I can do the noodles the day before and refrigerate them, the same with the meat and gravy. I am going to Restaurant Depot to buy a beef chuck clod, not sure what a cold is but I was told this is what I will need. Just trim and as you suggested, cube and partial cook. Thank you for everything. Mike McAllister

Joined Nov 11, 2017
For what you are making you can just use a big knife and hack it into stew meat chunks.

Or… if time permits you can practice fabricating the various shoulder cuts. One that you should consider pulling aside is the teres major. It’s like an inexpensive tenderloin and would make a real special treat.

https://beeflovingtexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/shoulder-clod-cutting-guide.pdf
Brian,
That makes sense and thank you. I am going to see the link shortly as I am looking for the most effective way to cut this meat down and still have the members pleased with a nice meal. The teres major is something I hope is in the link so that I know what to look for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom