Help Quick! Pastry Flour!!

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cakerookie, Feb 19, 2006.

1. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi all, I have a recipe calling for pastry flour. Now I know you can mix AP and cake flour together to make this stuff but I don't know the recipe. I had a recipe out of Rose Levy Beranbaums book Pie & Pastry Bible but I seem to have lost it. Anyone got a ratio for this? Or a simple recipe? Thanks in advance for the help.:suprise:

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I would use bread and cake. What are you making. You want a softer flour?
    pastry runs 8-10% protien. If your not looking for gluten, then I would go APF
    or maybe 3/4 APF 1/4 cake

3. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Pan its a recipe for sweet dough and its calling for pastry flour as one of the ingredients. I know regular AP alone will not have the same taste and texture simple because when you add water and heat to regular AP you get more gluten than anything else......

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I really think you're ok with the APF. I would'nt go to soft on the flour. use 25% cake. I just think 50-100 cake is too soft, not what your looking for.

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    The 3:1 APF to cake ratio works well for a close enough pastry flour. Depending on how much structure I am looking for I sometimes use a 4:1 ratio.

Jock

6. erik

erik

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I've actually been finding pastry flour in the supermarkets lately. It comes in much smaller bags, so it would depend on how much you need, but it can be found.

7. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I wish it was that way here. Not much of a call for it so you cannot get it in the grocery stores here thats the reason I have to make my own. By the way Jock that 4:1 ratio what is that in English? That ratio stuff still throws me for a loop. Iam just now getting grams and liters down. Well at least one thing is working right today I made my first Creme Caramel and it turned out great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    A ratio is one value relative to another - clear as mud eh? :)

the 3:1 or 4:1 or anything:1 ratio simply means that for every 3 cups of APF add 1 cup of cake flour or 4 cups of APF add 1 cup of cake flour and so on.

The format 3:1, 4:1, n:1 (where n = any number) is a commonm way to express a ratio.

Jock

9. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Appreciate that Jock I now have a clear understanding of ratios. Now if I can just get this Bakers Formula stuff down I will be on my way. Where I don't know but on my way. Thanks.

10. erik

erik

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I've been doing quite a bit of this lately, and I find I still have to consult my notes! It is well worth it when you get exactly 23 - 5oz pieces of dough for your project though!