Help please !!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mccormack01, Nov 22, 2012.

  1. mccormack01

    mccormack01

    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    At home cook
    I left boiled potatoes out over night that are to go in my stuffing today ( pork stuffing that will be baked ) are they still safe to use ??
     
  2. koukouvagia

    koukouvagia

    Messages:
    7,404
    Likes Received:
    633
    Exp:
    Home Cook
    When in doubt throw it out.  Potatoes are not too expensive so it shouldn't be too difficult to chuck 'em and boil up a new batch.  Happy Thanksgiving!
     
  3. petalsandcoco

    petalsandcoco

    Messages:
    3,207
    Likes Received:
    156
    Exp:
    Private Chef
    Welcome to Cheftalk mccormack,

    I agree with KK, not safe, throw them out. There has been enough evidence to show that Botulism can occur in potatoes which have been left out, why thake that chance.

    1) Make sure the potatoes are eaten within 2hr of being cooked, or

    2) Keep potatoes at 60 C or hotter

    3) Refrigerate the potatoes within 2 hours of being cooked.

    Petals.
     
  4. slayertplsko

    slayertplsko

    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    16
    Exp:
    At home cook
    From what I've read, botulin is neutralized by cooking for 10 minutes. What's more, Clostridium botulinum is anaerobic bacteria, and as far as I know, those cases of botulism from potatoes were from baked potatoes that were left for too long in their aluminium foil = anaerobic environment. I don't think this is your case. Personally, I wouldn't worry at all and would use them but it's up to you.
     
  5. laurenlulu

    laurenlulu

    Messages:
    612
    Likes Received:
    75
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do not eat. Slayer, your advice could kill someone. The bacteria can be killed BUT the toxin produced CANNOT be neutralized. Once the toxin is there, it is there.
     
  6. kokopuffs

    kokopuffs

    Messages:
    4,333
    Likes Received:
    83
    Exp:
    Home Cook
    There's a lot of liability in some of these posts.  Just toss 'em (the 'taters) out and use freshly boiled ones.
     
  7. slayertplsko

    slayertplsko

    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    16
    Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm not making it up.

    ''Unlike the staphylococcal enterotoxins and heat-stable toxins of other foodborne pathogens, the botulinal toxins are heat sensitive and may be destroyed by heating at 80◦C (176◦F) for 10 minutes, or boiling temperatures for a few minutes.''

    It's right there, in Modern Food Microbiology, 7th ed., page 581, black on white. It's a chemical process called denaturation and it is the same thing that allows tough cuts to become tender by long braising, by denaturation of collagen.
     
  8. kokopuffs

    kokopuffs

    Messages:
    4,333
    Likes Received:
    83
    Exp:
    Home Cook
    That said, Slavertplsko, would you actually serve some loved ones thoroughly cooked food that was once infected with botulism???  Huh???  Personally I'd throw it out in the garbage.
     
  9. lolo1998

    lolo1998

    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes,the ptaoes are still good,however before stuffing it( if you do) bring it back top a boil at 165 degree to kill the possible bacteria.
     
  10. slayertplsko

    slayertplsko

    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    16
    Exp:
    At home cook
    If there is no danger of botulism anymore, yes. You might as well get botulism from store-bought canned food or store-bought sausages - you never know if the procedures were followed exactly (=boil for 3 minutes at 121°C to kill the spores in case of canned food) or there is some flaw in the product and it might be infected. You cannot know this with certainty if this is what you're trying to get at (no, you cannot rely 100% on food inspection). Now I can ask you the same - would you actually serve some loved ones store-bought sausages or canned food? Or would you really throw it out? Isn't the question silly?

    Now if you sauté the potatoes or boil them again, plus if you actually roast/braise it with the meat, even if they were contaminated with botulin, it will have been denatured by the time it's done, the cells dead and the spores, if not destroyed, won't grow into adult bacteria because the very low pH in you stomach makes this impossible.

    Plus, we actually don't know if the potatoes were infected at all and most probably were not. The cases of botulism from potatoes were from baked potatoes left in the foil for too long, not boiled potatoes. I assume he boiled them peeled and sliced and then strained them. Doesn't sound like an environment where Clostridium species can reproduce and metabolize.
     
  11. petalsandcoco

    petalsandcoco

    Messages:
    3,207
    Likes Received:
    156
    Exp:
    Private Chef
    Even if they were..............? hummmmm

    Petals.
     
  12. laurenlulu

    laurenlulu

    Messages:
    612
    Likes Received:
    75
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I concede, eat up!
     
  13. kippers

    kippers

    Messages:
    181
    Likes Received:
    15
    Exp:
    Home Cook
    My ex wife wanted to denature me