Help on name for a new restaurant

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by esoltero, Aug 23, 2011.

1. esoltero

esoltero

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread.  I would love your opininons.  I am about to open a restaurant, at the beginning it was only going to be pizza, pastas and italian desserts... but necessities have changed and I am expanding the menu.  My pizzas will be cooked on a brick oven with wood, I will have pastas, a few dishes with chicken and beef, hamburguers, soups, salads, all kinds of desserts and more...

I am down to two names which me and my wife like both, if you have any idea of a different one of if you like one of the names below, please let me know.

One name is Al dente and the other one is Gourmet Express

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Anything but Gourmet Express.

BDL

3. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm with BDL on that one. As for Al dente, there are already many restaurants by that name in existence throughout the US. Back to the drawing board?

4. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    How about Pasta and?

5. esoltero

esoltero

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I apologize I was not specific enough.  The restaurant will be in Mexico and I checked there are not too many restaurants with that name...

As far as Gourmet express with the express on the name do you get the feeling that is fast food?  Or the name just plain sucks? haha... I would like to use the word gourmet on the name if possible, but I am open to new ideas.

Thanks all.

6. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    Gourmet Express does suggest fast food. As for using the word gourmet, I can't really comment on that due to a conflict of interest/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

7. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    "Al dente" would lead me to believe that the restaurant is chiefly a pasta restaurant. If that's not the case, you may want to rethink that one. "Gourmet Express" sounds like something you would get at an airport when you're in a hurry. Personally, I think the use of "gourmet" in the name of a restaurant is a bit conceited as well.

8. the_seraphim

the_seraphim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    put up a sign that says "sorry i spent too much time on the food and didnt have time to think of a name" and use that

gourmetm likes this.
  9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    where in Mexico. are you after tourists? gourmet express is probably taken world wide but I think it denoted franchise. If your going for authentic cusine

then tell em what you got. Hole in the wall, grandmas table, Firehouse Pies, of course I love the name Panini!! etc.

gourmetm likes this.
  10. the_seraphim

the_seraphim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Call it   "two mexican firemen"

when people ask about the name tell them its owned by two brothers

josé and hose b

11. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    Esoltero,

I'm starting to understand more about what you're looking for as the thread continues.

So, how about It's Italian ?

12. john dt

john dt

Exp:
    At home cook
    A Bite of Italy   or  A Bite of Italy in Mexico ?????

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Italian ! Lost in Mexico

14. esoltero

esoltero

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I am in Nogales, which is right across the border from Arizona.  This restaurant will serve no turists at all, mostly locals.  The reason, I would not want italy on the name is because I will have other stuff on the menu that is not italian.  At the beginning it would've been good, but now around 60% of the menu is italian... the rest is not.  I even have tamales on the menu.  I have chocolate tamales with crystallized orange, this are consider somehow gourmet tamales if there is such thing as gourmet tamal.  I also have some kabobs made with chicken, bacon, zucchini and onion and before serving I put some tamarind salsa on top.

I also have hamburguers... I have one with pinneaple, one that I put some chipotle salsa, so it is not your regular hamburguer. 

Thanks all for your contributions

15. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Why not go for a punchy one word name, eg  'Zest'?

gourmetm likes this.
  16. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    How about Gastronomy ?

17. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    if you're insistant on having gourmet in the name...how about 'gourmet to go' ? el gourmando? el gordo gourmando?...

joey

18. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't understand. Why are you looking for an English name? What's wrong with something Spanish? If you like the idea of "gourmet" as a way of talking about elevated and original food, in Spanish it's not nearly as hackneyed or problematic. Take the examples "La Sibarita" or "Gastronomo Andale!" for instance. Either is far better than "Gouremet Express," and both give a better idea of what you're up to than "Al Dente."

"Alfonso Diente's" is kind of cute. So are "Cafe Alfonso Diente," and "Diente de Alfonso." The more I think about it the more Al grows on me. Un vato simpatico, no?

Buena suerte,
    BDL

PS. Of course there are "gourmet" tamales, in the way you mean "gourmet." But just remember that the term "gourmet" has negative connotations in the US. Because it was so overused in the seventies and eighties, it now makes us suspicious that someone is trying to sell something not very good.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    gourmetm likes this.
  19. esoltero

esoltero

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I am not necessarily looking for a name in English.  Gourmet is the same in english and spanish and Al dente is a world wide expression.  I am right across the border from the US, so having a name in english is not a weird thing here since there is a lot of influence from the US.  I do not care if the name is in English, Spanish, French or Italian as long as it's a good name.

Oh and why Alfonso? haha who is Alfonso?  :)

20. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Since restaurants fail very fast Instead of    I-Hop   call it   I- Hope.