Help, need some advice on holding a bechamel sauce

Joined Apr 26, 2021
Hi, im wanting to make a white sauce each morning and then use it to make macaroni cheese throughout the day. I plan to make the white sauce without cheese and then add cheese when i heat a portion of the white sauce in a pan ready to be eaten. The issue i have is i dont know how to hold the white sauce for a long period. I could keep some in a bain marie / soup kettle but i think im only able to hold it for an hour at a time. Will it become thin over time?

Any suggestions would be really helpful, thank you

Joined Mar 1, 2017
First off, you don't want to let the white sauce sit at room temperature or otherwise remain unrefrigerated for any length of time. If you're a commercial operation, that's a great way to run afoul of your health inspector's good graces.

You also can't keep it on the stove in a ready-to-use state either. The butter in the sauce will break.

Fortunately, white sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. Some say 4 or 5 days but, again, better safe than sorry, especially if you're commercial operation. The faster the turnover with something like this, the better.

Simply make enough of white sauce in advance and refrigerate it. When you need it, warm up the portion you need and when its hot enough, add the cheese. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck. :)

Joined May 1, 2021
First off, you don't want to let the white sauce sit at room temperature or otherwise remain unrefrigerated for any length of time. If you're a commercial operation, that's a great way to run afoul of your health inspector's good graces.

You also can't keep it on the stove in a ready-to-use state either. The butter in the sauce will break.

Fortunately, white sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. Some say 4 or 5 days but, again, better safe than sorry, especially if you're commercial operation. The faster the turnover with something like this, the better.

Simply make enough of white sauce in advance and refrigerate it. When you need it, warm up the portion you need and when its hot enough, add the cheese. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck. :)
Thanks for the advice. I will try to make it tonight!

Top Bottom