Help my sponge cake and Genoese is always sticky on top and deflates!

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Ok so I love baking and cooking and do all kinds and I'm pretty successful, but I can not for the life of me make mini sponge cakes in small mini popover pans or even a Genoese.

I beat the eggs a long time in my stand mixer 5-10 min till pale and fluffy, I have tried alternating , even whips up separated eggs. But the results are the same tops are very sticky almost like sugar caramilzed on top, they won't come out of a buttered tin, I don't know what I am doing wrong! Help please?

Joined Oct 11, 2014
Just a few things off the top of my head this morning as I am running out the door.

If a homemade cake has a sticky top crust, the following problems may have occurred:

The cake was stored while still warm.
 The liquid might be over measured or too much sugar (as sugar is hydroscopic)
 The cake was under-baked - the oven temperature was too low and/or the baking time was too short.
 The air humidity was too high.

I have to run however, I can elaborate more on this later if needed. HTH a little /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Scratched pans can make a cake stick.

Have you tried lining with parchment paper?

mimi

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
If you are going to grease with butter you need to add a flour layer on top.

Better yet make your own bakers release.

Equal parts oil, veg shortening and flour.

Stir it up and paint the pans with a thin layer THEN put your parchment down.

Popover pans are too tall for cake techniques.

You will need a cupcake liner.

mimi

Joined May 5, 2010

If you are going to grease with butter you need to add a flour layer on top.

Better yet make your own bakers release.

Equal parts oil, veg shortening and flour.

Stir it up and paint the pans with a thin layer THEN put your parchment down.

Popover pans are too tall for cake techniques.

You will need a cupcake liner.

mimi
This is what I thought.

Any sponge or Genoise I've ever made was in a jelly roll pan never any thicker than 1/2 inch of batter.

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Thank you for all the replies!
So since I bake them in popover pans cuz I love mini everything and I always want to soak or wet them in a liquore too.

The problem has always been getting them out, so yes maybe I didn't bake them all the way ( didn't want them dark) and the non stick pan tend to darken them quickly so that could be.

When I was removing them this time they looked good on top but when they came out the bottom had all shrunk so maybe a sponge cake is too soft and also you are right it is hard to grease and flour them, got the butter in but hard time flour them!

I ended up switching recipes to " cake boss spong cake" it is a heavier dough and thicker than a traditional one, but since I soak them those turned out okay.

I just wanted to master the Genoese and sponge I may try it in a traditional pan or jelly roll and see.
But thanks again to you all!
Gloria

Joined Oct 11, 2014
Take some pictures and show off your finished product to us. We love to see what people create! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom