help my cake is falling

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by beans, Jul 17, 2005.

1. beans

beans

I am baking my daughters wedding cake. The centre keeps falling. what am I doing wrong. It is a almond paste cake. I am weighing all the ingredients, oven temperature seems right. I didn't open the door. HELP!!!

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Beans,
    What size? Oven thermometer? have you used this formula before? pan type?
    When is the wedding?
    panini
    if this if for today PM to get number to call.

3. beans

beans

The pan is a 3" x 13" round ,WILTON pan, the oven is set @ 350 convection the recipe is from the book the well decorated cake by toba garrett, almond paste cake.

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    ok, Sorry for the delay.
    Do you have the option of switching your oven to conventional heat? I don't have that book or recipe, but it sounds like a cooking problem if the cake looks ok and then falls after baking. If your preset to 350 convection then you're probably getting a pretty good jump in cooking. I would suggest you bump it down a notch in the last 10 min (325)and bake it a little longer. Are you using anything to check for doneness? toothpick, knife? I'm sorry to mention these things if you are an accomplished baker, but just trying to figure out what's going on.
    Pan

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    have you tasted and looked at your first one. If taste and consistancy is ok around the outside then you should be ok with the formula.
    BTW a three inch cake is pretty thick. If you have 2x13, I would definately go that route if you have the time to bake two.