Help me with this cake

Joined Dec 26, 2015
I want to make a cake but I don't know if it will taste good, so I need your opinion.

Vanilla sponge cake with coffee syrup filled with a mixture of custard cream, whipped cream and orange zest. I will decorate the cake with whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate flakes. What do you think of the flavors?

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
Not the flavor combo I would ever enjoy but then I am not you.

Experiment and report back.

mimi

Joined Dec 1, 2015
I think it sounds like a good experiment, though I would personally drop one of the three flavors - coffee, orange, or strawberry.  Just seems like it might be to many fighting for attention in the final product.

I personally love oranges and strawberry.  I will sometimes macerate strawberries in orange juice, maybe a bit of orange liqueur, then use the liquid to moisten the genoise and fill the middle with the strawberries.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
To me the strawberry is the odd man out.

Too sweet too juicy and the tiny bit of acid it brings too prominent (or of the wrong type).

Confuses the palate.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif

Coffee and chocolate and orange make a great marriage and not one I would turn down if offered.

mimi

Joined Jul 28, 2001
instead of the strawberry for garnish. Roast a few coffee beans and double dip them in chocolate.

Top Bottom