kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Variety of Canapes
Potato bread rolls
Breast of Quail and Duck Rillettes
Crab bisque
Shrimp sausage with mango and citrus beurre blanc
Roast lamb loin with cabbage custard and (some other starch garnish)
Roast monkfish with root vegetables
Intermezzo
Salad
Dessert (non-chocolate type)
Friandise and Coffee

It's many courses, but total protein is about 10-11 oz only. This person wants a lot of seafood and I'm confused about what to serve when.

:confused: Kuan:confused:

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
That is a lot of food. I think it should be divided by course ie fish course, poultrey, meat etc. Think I read that in the Larousse gastronomique about huge banquet.

Variety of Canapes

Crab bisque
Potato bread rolls
Roast monkfish with root vegetables
Shrimp sausage with mango and citrus beurre blanc

Intermezzo

Breast of Quail and Duck Rillettes
Roast lamb loin with cabbage custard and (some other starch garnish)

Salad

Dessert (non-chocolate type)
Friandise and Coffee

Joined May 1, 2001
Roast monkfish strikes me as being a bit robust for a traditional fish course. I'd be inclined to serve it as a main course, along with the meat and poultry.

Joined Oct 28, 1999
I agree with Dave. The lamb loin should be the 'remove' and the fish is full-bodied enough to be the main dish. I think after that bisque and rolls, they are going to be some mighty-full bellies by the time dessert rolls around. Let us know how it turns out!!

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
This is crazy. I should try and "remove" the monkfish. As it stands it looks and feels unbalanced and not very elegant. Or, who cares, I get paid right no?

Kuan

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I forget, the wine is also a problem. A Cabernet is going with the lamb and hopefully a full bodied Chardonnay with the monkfish. So it'd be real weird switching white-red-white. Bleh...

Kuan

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Kuan,

The 'remove' is classically a joint-meat that is often carved or a 'bit' portion. Sorry for not clarifying.

Joined May 1, 2001
Serving the Lamb as a remove does lead to a white-red-white alternation which some might find annoying. On the other hand, serving both the Quail and the Lamb as main courses leads to havng both a red and a white on the table at once, unless you feel that a Cabernet works with the quail.

My inclination would be to lose the Monkfish. Alternately,you could prepare it in a sufficiently hearty suace to make the Cabernet an appropriate companion.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I DID "remove" the monkfish and everything was fine. :) The quail actually did end up with a Merlot (don't ask) and we ended up serving a Pinot Noir with the Lamb. (Don't ask) :)

Sometimes one can only make suggestions and suck it up right? Thanks again for the support.

Kuan

Latest posts

Top Bottom