Help me pick my cheese please

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cajun_angel21, Apr 6, 2006.

1. cajun_angel21

cajun_angel21

Exp:
    At home cook
    I made a post about a seafood lasagna I'm making next week, but didn't get much help. And now it's been bumped up to this saturday.

It's going to have a lemon butter cream sauce and I'm not sure what type of cheeses to put in it. I don't want anything to over power the seafood. So it'll be a small amount of cheese.

I read a recipe tha uses ricotta and goat cheese, but I've never had goat cheese before. Can anyone elxplain the taste? Does it pair well with seafood?

Any suggestions on cheeses. I live in a small town so I don't have too many options.

2. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    NO TO THE GOAT!

Use something lite, like an Asiago, or straight Parm...Typical lasagnas call foe what is esentially a mannicoti filling, ricotta, parm and, mozzerella.
    Goats cheese is a little to acidic for a seafood dish IMO.

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Have a look at these recipes. Be sure to read the reviews to understand how the ingredients work in the dishes:

Seafood Lasagna Recipes

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    This is going to be white/cream right?
    CTATT is right ,goat, to much acidity with the lemon sauce. I'm not so sure you don't want to tone down your sauce as not to overpower the key ingredients. the seafood. Remember, if you are going to build the lasagna and bake it, there is a good chance of shrinkage in shrimp, scallops and things like that. So I would reserve some to add the the garnishing sauce.
    If I do something like this, I precook everything, build it, and then basically bake it till it sets the cheese. I would also add green, spinace? for looks.
    I think your responces were limited because you are really trying to combine two dished. I think it's very doable if you just keep in mind a white sauce with hints of lemon. If it were me(and I have not been on the hot side for years) I would put the lemon in when I sauteed up the seafood.
    I'm also going to suggest to use the part skim rigotta if you decide lemon.
    The most important think here is to have fun with this! Most Italian dishes are truly derived from peasant dished. They are a combination of the freshest ingredients available. I really think if you precook, add everything, you can't go wrong. If it's not what you have pictured in your mind, it's ok, because the flavor will be there.
    good luck

5. cajun_angel21

cajun_angel21

Exp:
    At home cook
    The sauce is a very light summery cream sauce. I use it in my Tilapia dish so know it will be great with this. I'm going for understated goodness so I'm not filling it with anything besides seafood, sauce, and cheese. Then I will serve sauteed spinach on the side.

Thanks for the help with the goat cheese.