Help me narrow down my choices?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by pinkfreud65, Feb 14, 2017.

1. pinkfreud65

pinkfreud65

Exp:
    Home Chef
  2. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Do you have any experience with reactive cladding on knives?

3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Both great cutters. Munetoshi is thicker at the spine and easier to thin when you have to eventually. I have the butcher from this maker and the kurouchi is not very reactive. You only have to worry about the white steel, mine built a patina and is very stable.

The itinomonn's stainless cladding is annoying to thin but makes reactivity a non issue up to the core steel.

All things considered, if I had to pick only one, I would say take the stainless clad. You have a lot to learn using your first Japanese knife, don't worry a lot about reactivity too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. pinkfreud65

pinkfreud65

Exp:
    Home Chef
    No, I do not. I feel as though, like stated above, it would be nice to not have to worry about a reactive knife as well as it being my first japanese knife.

5. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Go with the one that will cause you less worry. Any reason why 210 over 240?

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    OP was asking for an 240mm $80 knife in another thread so I would guess budget

Don't overthink it.  There is not much you can't do with a 210mm vs a 240mm .   For most everyday home cooking 210mm is nimbler, easier to control, good in tight spaces with small cutting boards, and also CHEAPER.  Every once in a while you might shred lettuce or something when you wish you had a longer knife.

Still I would prefer a quality 210mm over a 240mm from a cheaper line, just my 2 cents