help me copy a sushi sauce please

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The restaurant is Fat Fish in Salt Lake City, Utah. It's sushi and pho with a Vietnamese proprietor. I like the sushi a lot though it's not a deepdive into the subject nor exotic.

A number of my favorite tuna variations come with a particular dressing. These photos are from yelp as the pandemic had me trying to create it at home. o.jpg
This is the albacore garlic roll. There is sauce on the roll and on the side. Lighting isn't great. It has an orange tan color though sometimes it's much more tan and not as good. I suspect it is made with common ingedients to a sushi restaurant

o(2).jpg

I'm thinking it's a miso base, probably some seasoned rice vinegar, sichimi togaroshi, a light touch of sesame oil

Maybe items: pickled ginger liquid, sriracha-i see what look like pulverized red chiles now and then so it's probably only a small amount. garlic just a hint. Maybe oil from frying the garlic as that would kind of ruin the oil for other uses.

Thinning agent. The sauce is thin and while you can see some oil, it's not in vinaigrette volumes. I'm thinking water and/or dashi stock.

In looking for ideas, I see miso mustard sauces but they'd be stronger and thicker than this. I don't think there's mustard in it.

I'm thinking it would be good on a lot of things.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Without being to taste it we can only go by what you're telling us. By visuals alone the consistency looks just like Thai sweet chili sauce, so maybe that was used as a base? Is it sweet?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Without being to taste it we can only go by what you're telling us. By visuals alone the consistency looks just like Thai sweet chili sauce, so maybe that was used as a base? Is it sweet?
That’s my guess too... probably straight out of the bottle. (And there’s nothing wrong with that because many bottled Thai sweet Chile sauces, and the like, are fine products!) :)

Top Bottom