Help!!!!Lemon juice and Cider

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Sep 10, 2000.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Helppppp!!!!I'm drowning in fresh lemon juice (30) gls and 250 gls of flash pasturized apple cider.

I had a booth at an Art Fair (1st time juice had been sold) 150,000 people, I'm in the middle of the food section...and OVER BOUGHT>
    any ideas for this stuff????Quickly pls before it rots.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh my god shroomgirl!!!!!!!!
    I think the only thing you could do with so much product is freeze it in one gallon units and use it as you need it. But im sure space is an issue. Will the supplier take any or all back? You can make a really,really big batch of ceriche [​IMG]are there any restuarants in the area that can take some off your hands?
    Any way good luck!!

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ceviche is very good Idea....Cider was driven 4 hours to get to us....at cost.So No returns, does not do well sitting out either.
    Goes flat and looses that tang.
    The lemon juice too cannot be returned.

I've got some Mexican restaurants in the area that may take it for a cut rate.

I'm exhausted....13+ hour days and another coming up today....geeze guys HOW DO YOU DO THIS????? I'm stressed to the max dealing with no cups during dinner (4x we sent people to get them 2 hours pre!!!) Dealing with teenage labor (2 per staion OK 3 Nightmare) 1 Farmer interacts well with the crowd 2 farmers sit in the back and discuss farming, Slow times and no customers, busy times and everyone wants info on the Farmers Market. I normally sleep well, and am generally real easy going...this has been a major malox moment...I hope my booth working niece will talk to me after this weekend.
    (Guess I broke my rule of hiring older better workers...now I know what some of you guys experience YUCKKKKK)

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You impress me with your periverence.
    It sounds like you have had quite a couple of days. Be assured that the cream always rises to the top.I hope your not afraid of hieghts...lol
    I hope you can unload some of your stuff at the mexican places!!
    Be cool

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Granita? Interesting frozen pops? Sorbet? Good luck!

6. cookm

cookm

Can't you sell the lemon juice to any restaurants, not just Mexican? When I first started cooking, I did prep. One of my jobs was squeezing a case of lemons. Would've been happy if you showed up one week. Is it hot there? Gosh, I could think of a bunch of drinks. Lemon mint spritzers...peach or lavender lemonade (put peach or lavender in simple syrup)...avgolemono (sp?)...You must have a ton of friends where you can freeze the juices in their freezers. [​IMG] Good luck and tell us what ends up happening!

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    OK~this is what happened to the lemon juice...we left it on the truck and told then to get the best price they could for it.
    (kind of cheating)
    The cider is boiling down as we speak into jelly. And it too is going back to an Anheser Busch Distributor it refrigerate....until we deal with the 200 gls. My gosh how that learning curve gets shorter and shorter.....THANK GOODNESS>

8. isa

isa

I was watching a French cooking show last night and they were making rabbit cooked in cider and served with sauté apple. It sure looked good.

Sisi

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The chef who is boiling down the cider will use it with pork to make sausage....he said his place now smells like it's Alsatian instead of Provencial

10. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Wow that is a ton of juice. You should of opened up a lemonade stand! [​IMG]

11. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Out of 150,000 people we figured being the only non-carbonated beverage booth selling juices and being the only one in the restaurant section that we would sell alot.
    especially since this past weekend it was 105*. Welllllll wrong! This was the first year so we had NONONONO frame of reference.
    Way TOO much labor, WAy too much ice, way too much juice that could not be returned and was not shelf stable, and way too much energy for way too little income. But the response to the Farmers Market Idea was wonderful. Would I do it again? Yes. Would I not buy as much? yes! Would I have as much labor? No!
    Learning curves, I like to have little ones that hit home so I don't spin out again, and again, and again.

12. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When life gives you lemons..........

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    LOL I reread this after 2 weeks and it seems like eons ago.