Help!I can't find a crazy "ingredient" and don't know how to make it from scratch!

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by rustyspoons, Oct 24, 2008.

1. rustyspoons

rustyspoons

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    :talk: Hi, I'm new to the site, and new to baking in general. I'm going out of my mind because I LOVE the flavor of cotton candy. (I have purchased the flavor from LorAnn Oils to use when I figure out what to put it in...lol) However what I really wanted to find and cannot, is these tiny little "crunchy" pieces of ...god knows what,? but its in the DAIRY QUEEN COTTON CANDY ICE CREAM BLIZZARDS. I was hoping I could use them in cupcakes, or frosting, or whatever, but NO ONE KNOWS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR when i look on sites like LorAnn, Williams Sonnoma, etc. Even the dairy queen's can't tell me what it is, or where to find it.
    Can someone here shed some light on this for me or tell me how to make them from "scratch" or whatever?? Also, can you could tell me if I can use them for the above stated purpose, if so, how?, and if not, what could i use them for instead? Thank you so much, it's been driving me crazy for months! ! :roll:

2. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Isn't it just carmelized sugar?

3. rustyspoons

rustyspoons

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Maybe I'm confused of what exactly carmelized sugar is OregonYeti :eek: ...because the only carmelized sugar I've ever seen is amber in color and very brittle, like on a creme brulee... but, this stuff has an odd texture, NOT like the sugar you'd crack on a creme brulee, the pieces are about the size of "chicklets", you know, those tiny little pieces of gum from so long ago?, and the consistancy is like a little crunchy, a little like those cream of tartar mints once the crunch is gone, and they are all brightly colored like pink, blue, purple, and NOT translucent at all.

4. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    They spin this sugar into thin, long strands.

5. schllac

schllac

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  6. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    the vendor that sells to dairyqueen and see if you can buy from them.

otherwise, you may want to purchase the cotton candy in a bag at the local candy store, ball it up in bits and add that.

7. cupcakin ashley

cupcakin ashley

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just caramelized sugar... I've had it before, and just taste like balls of "smooshed" cotton candy. It's good stuff, and a really good idea to maybe use with Cupcakes?? Or a cheesecake...

8. schllac

schllac

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Found on another site
    Maybe this will help ?

The following website has the syrup (first one on a Google search) and says:

"If you have a way to make homemade ice cream, then Nature’s Flavors’ Organic Cotton Candy Syrup will make the greatest cotton candy flavored ice cream you have ever tasted. Simply add one tablespoon of Organic Cotton Candy Syrup to 16 ounces of half-and-half and mix thoroughly. Then add 1 cup of organic corn syrup or honey. Finally, add 1 teaspoon of Nature’s Flavors’ Organic Vanilla Extract, mix and allow it to chill for 1 to 2 hours. Once chilled, you can begin adding the mixture to your automatic ice cream maker. This recipe works great in most automatic ice cream makers like the Cuisinart™ frozen yogurt, ice cream and sorbet maker."

Nature's Flavors : Organic Cotton Candy Syrup (Vegan, Kosher, Gluten-Free)

9. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Different sized sprinkles or "flavor bursts" is my guess. They freeze and become hard, put in your mouth and they dissolve or get soft and chewy. Ive seen them on cake supply sites before

10. rustyspoons

rustyspoons

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    :lol: AAAAHHHHHH!!!! THAT SOUNDS LIKE THATS IT!!!!! :roll: Chefhow Thank you for that word "flavor bursts", maybe if I research under that name when I check the sites I'll find em. I can't believe this, I had actually found them once, and it was late so I figured I'd order them the next day or so, and when I went back to find the site, it was totally gone, no longer existed or something equally as evil.... Anyway, I'll look "flavor bursts" and see what happens. Thanks again...

11. Misty

Misty

Exp:
    ?
    Walmart has them.... Search for Cotton Candy Krunch Sugar Crunch Bakery Topping Sprinkles