Help, I am cooking 2 rib roasts in one oven, 5# and 8#

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jojotr, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jojotr

jojotr

Exp:
    At home cook
    Since I am cooking both ribs roasts together in one oven, do I combine the weight of both of them and use that weight?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. wens

wens

Exp:
    At home cook
    No. You want to leave space around each of them so they each see heat individually and aren't crowded and cook them for the correct time (well, to the correct internal temperature which that time estimates) for their individual weight. If you want them to finish at the same time you'll need to put the smaller one in after the larger one, fit example if it was 10 minutes per pound the 5# would go in 30 minutes after the 8.

jojotr likes this.
  3. jojotr

jojotr

Exp:
    At home cook

4. jojotr

jojotr

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you!! So should I cook them in different pans?

5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Doesn't matter.  Leave space in between.   Use a meat thermometer to determine doneness and don't forget about carryover cooking.   Time is just a guide, every roast is different you need to use a thermometer.

If they finish at different times, you can hold in a cooler or a cambro

jojotr likes this.
  6. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    They will not be done at the same time...so be prepared to hold one for a while so the other can finish to temp. I like using a clean cooler (like an igloo cooler) for holding at home.

How are you cooking, at what temp, and what meat temp are you shooting for? Remember, the internal temperature will rise by 10 degrees as they rest.

7. jojotr

jojotr

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you!  I will be cooking it at 500 degrees for 25 min then drop it down to 200 degrees for approx 3.5 hours for the 8# and 2 hrs for the 5#.  SO how do I do that if I cook it separately in timing but in the oven at the same time?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  8. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Please don't go by those times. You need to check your temps after 1.5 hours & adjust from there.

3.5-4 hours will be WAY overdone. I'm usually pulling full loins around 2.5 hours (give or take)...and that's cooking at 200 degrees from the get-go.

Cook by temp, not by time.

9. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager

This was around 2.5 hours on a full loin...cooked at 200 & pulled at 115.

10. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager

This one was also cooked at 200 for around 2.5 hours, but pulled at 120, allowed to rest for at least an hour and then put in at 450 for 5 minutes (reverse sear). You can see the gray edge that the few minutes at 450 caused. Notice the edge-to-edge color in the previous picture...no sear on that one & very uniform.

Also note that the loin in this picture is much nicer, with more intramuscular fat than the one pictured above it.