HELP: how do I stop eggs from turning green

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mbear, Aug 16, 2004.

1. mbear

mbear

I work in a long term care facility, we cook our scrambled eggs in a steam table and they turn green before we are done serving. is there something that will prevent this from happening? Any and all suggestions are welcome. :confused:

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's basically overcooking. One answer is to prepare smaller amounts at a time and refresh the table throughout the service.

Phil

3. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    also using a pasteurized product with additive(ascorbic acid?) such as easy eggs-available under other names-will help. Keep them loose!!!
    hth, danny

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Slightly under cook your eggs and then add a teaspoon of lemon juice and stir in.

5. mbear

mbear

Thank you to all who replied, we are unable to cook small amounts as we have 100 residents eating all within a 15 min time allotment, but we will try the lemon juice and all other suggestions.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The acid trick is new to me. That's part of why I'm not a pro.

Phil

7. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If I might add....
    Sometimes the lemon may be detected; I have used sour cream folded into the eggs as an alternative.

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    At the resort, where I work, we do a breakfast buffet daily, for anywhere from 120-300ppl, plus all the other banquet breakfasts we have going. We use a liquid egg product that contains citric acid. This keeps the eggs nice and yellow all morning long, if the need arises.

9. chef wil

chef wil

I have used vit. C tabs in the eggs too they are usually ascorbic acid. It helps to cook them loose too.

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Add some cottage cheese to prevent them from turning green on a steam table.