Help from cheese experts?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ziggy, Feb 19, 2002.

1. ziggy

ziggy

I'm workign on a new recipe...grapefruit risotto. So far it seems its not a hopeless concept but I can't seem to find the just right cheese to finish it...

I'm not a cheese expert and don't know my way beyond the well-known varieties...brie and chevre have been the best bets so far but not quite right, I don't think...perhaps something more mellow or smoked to balance the grapefruit?

Anyone familiar with cheeses that might have a suggestion?

Thanks! :)

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Whoa, grapefruit risotto?!!!! zest , onions, arborio, Liquid????,
    folded in fruit, tarragon or thyme, maybe aged Gouda
    ~creamy would be a camembert or triple cream, or mascarpone...
    What are you serving with it? Boy blow my mind concept.....this one is trully original.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Like shroomgirl said, an aged Gouda, or maybe a cave-aged emmental (sp?). You need something with a nutty flavor component to it, I think. What are you serving this with? What is the rationalization behind this? Are you using zest, juice, or segments?

4. ziggy

ziggy

a tree full of grapefruit in the backyard! :lol: I love citrus and love to play with it...great yield on the grapefruit tree this year so have been playing with things to do with grapefruit...

thanks for the suggestions!
    smoked or aged gouda and either a jarlsberg or emmantaler were going to be my next tries so I guess i'm at least thinking correctly in trying to balance the flavors...

I'm using shallots, arborio, chicken stock, grapefruit juice(and some zest), champagne, and some sort of cheese...i was going to use thyme but found some summer savory at Whole Foods yesterday so tried that.

Don't know what I'm going to serve it with in the end...just thought I'd try this part so far...one thought was some sort of chicken sausage but i haven't made much sausage at all to date(good time to practice maybe!)....also am thinking about searing some nut crusted sea bass with some sort of chili-fruit sauce(maybe mango?)

5. chef nosko

chef nosko

Hi:

Have lots of grapefruit?????

How about:

Grapefruit & Vodka Mousse

Caramelized Grapefruit Tart w/Candied Grapefruit Zest

Salad of: Arugula, Belgian Endive, Roasted Shallots, Grapefruit Segments, & Cashews. Champagne Citrus Dressing.

Grapefruit/Lime Meringue Pie

And I am sure others will contribute more ideas......

I love good Grapefruit.

Chef Nosko
    Boston, MA

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Funny that Chef Nosko mentioned a grapefruit and arugula salad. I was going to say to juliene some arugula and add it to your risotto at the last minute.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Smoked Gouda is very different from 5 year old aged gouda which is much like parmesan in texture.
    I wondered about the chicken stock addition. nut encrusted fish sounds great....I like pistachios with grapefruit.

8. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What on God's green Earth would possess someone to make risotto out of grapefruit??? There are so many savory goodies on which to base risotto - I don't know if I'd list it on a menu simply because I don't think anyone would order it!

9. chives

chives

That sounds wonderful I think it would be great with the addition of some grilled chicken and maybe a hint of blue cheese. (just thinking outloud, not sold on that completely)

10. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Now now, we're supposed to be receptive to new ideas right? Ziggy has a grapefruit tree in the backyard. Maybe it'll work, don't knock it till you've tried it!

Kuan

11. ziggy

ziggy

:lol: well i guess i won't send any chiffonade's way...as for putting it on a menu, worry not. I'm just playing at home.

discussed this with one of the chefs at school today. he suggested reducing the juice and drizzling it on the risotto at the end rather than using it with the stock and champagne or wine. HE also suggested investigating more of the goat's cheeses....something stronger than chevre. I'm going to play a little more with it this weekend.

And since chiffonade doesn't want any...that makes more for the rest of you! :lol:

thanks for the help and suggestions...

(ps as for what inspired me...when i was living in the lake country in Italy...I was across the street from a small little in...when blueberries were in season they made the most yummy blueberry risotto that was offered as a primo...i figured if they could use blueberries why not try with the grapefruit which i currently have plenty of...! I never did ask how they made it and now i'm kicking myself...)

12. chives

chives

I have seen rissotto finished with lemon juice and mascarpone so I would think you could do as you mentioned reduce the grapefruite juice and add it at the end. Would you add some of the grapefruite flesh as well?

I love aged gouda but it is very very sharp I am wondering if it would be to strong for the rissotto?

13. ziggy

ziggy

I was thinking of using the flesh as a garnish...maybe wrapped in a little prosciutto as you might do with figs?

(BTW - the variety I'm using is very similar to a Ruby Red not the white ones)

14. chef nosko

chef nosko

Hi Ziggy:

What about caramelizing some of the grapefruit first? More tart than sweet.
    This might give you a different flavor, plus change the texture so that it would not turn to mush.

Now......Something else to consider.

The Indian dessert----Kheer.

You could do a variation on that....with grapefruit segments, or candied grapefruit. Add roasted cashews, or some other type of nut to the dish.

I would have never thought of a Blueberry Risotto. If you ever find out what ingredients they used.....let us know!!!

Good Luck,

Chef Nosko
    Boston, MA

15. kimmie

kimmie

Oh my, oh my,

Gotta open my Indian books, maybe Seductions of Rice... Thanks so much for the idea, Chef Nosko! :lips:

16. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thyme in Chicag has blueberry risotto with their duck or did last April...
    I'm writing a recipe tonight on tangerine fresh fennel and vanilla, red grapefruit would work also....

saute onion and fresh fennel add arborio, I think I'd skip the wine, go straight to chicken stock, parmesonreg...or aged gouda.
    then fold in fennel fronds and grapefuit zest that has been blanched( think this may delete some of the acrid taste) .....boil grapefruit juice into a syrup and top risotto, garnish with segments.....hmp....if the grapefruit isn't too tart it should work.