Help for utility knife

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by crackton, Nov 19, 2016.

1. crackton

crackton

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hi, could you please recommend what is good value for money from the list of manufacturers in the screenshot?

I have budget up to around the cost of a Moritaka 150mm (around €200 here, don't know US prices).

I'd prefer something on that list as I can go to the store and try them out, but I don't think I'll get to know them that well by holding them for a minute each.

I'm used to western style knives and have a Mac Pro 240mm chef knife, but I'm willing to try something new.

I don't think stainless or not really matters as I clean my knifes all the time anyway.

I don't have any real experience with sharpening. My school has a belt sharpener I can practice on with school knives, but I don't think I'd ever use it on my own knives. I'm getting this Victorinox set I can practice on and I'll also get a ceramic rod and a sharpening stone, but that's on another budget. http://www.russums-shop.co.uk/i/q/K...arge-with-20cm-deep-cooks-knife-in-kc210-case

Thanks in advance. :)

Kenneth

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Your picks here are all over the board, and many, like the wusty and Keocera, I would not even consider.  And the price on the Michel bras knives is simply a joke, $500+ for a knife that will perform the same as a $60 tojiro DP.

For a petty I'm sold on SRS-15 steel, gets real sharp for stainless, not chippy like some PM steels, easy to sharpen and holds its sharp like few others.  The equivalent to my Geshin Kagero (Stateside supplier) is the Akifusa.  

Shiro Kamo makes a very nicely ground, very snazzy looking and tall petty in R-2 that's also well within your price range.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  3. crackton

crackton

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    It's not my picks, it's a screenshot of brands available at the store I'm going to.. Some, like the Michel Bras are obviously above my budget ;-)

4. crackton

crackton

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Also, I asked for recommendations for good value for money, not which ones you didn't like :p

5. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    200 for a Moritaka 150mm seems extremely high...Probably wouldn't take it at that price

6. crackton

crackton

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Foody518 EU prices are generally higher than US prices and Danish prices are in the high end of EU. But with some items I don't mind paying a little extra for the customer service and convenience of a local store. Buying from US is a no go, since postage and import taxes would make it more expensive than buying from within EU.

Still prefer a local store, but I'll take a look at the store Benuser linked :)

7. crackton

crackton

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Yeah, I just saw that, thanks for the tip :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016