Help for a pasta dinner fundraiser!!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by micuchita, Jan 22, 2014.

1. micuchita

micuchita

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm planning a pasta dinner fundraiser for my daughter's school.  We are expecting about 300 people within kids and adults.  Should I cook it the night before, how much pasta should I get, how should I store it and how should I reheat it???  What is the best type of pasta and sauce for this type of event???  Please help me plan a successful event!!!

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    penne pasta

47#

marinara sauce

cook pasta night before, submerge in cold water to stop cooking process, drain and coat lightly with oil (olive, canola, etc just use inexpensive oil because will be washed off later) store covered in refrigerator

next day heat sauce,when ready to serve, put manageable amounts of pasta into boiling water for 15 seconds or so, pull out and let drain but not cool off, then if doing plate service, plate and top with sauce, if doing buffet service, sauce the pasta and toss to mix, put a little sauce in the bottom of a hotel pan, then add the sauced pasta

3. micuchita

micuchita

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I really appreciate your help Chef!!! About how many boxes of pasta and jars of sauce should I get for every hundred people?  We will be accompanying it with bread and salad. 

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If they are one pound boxes, then I would get 47 boxes for 300, so divided by 3 would be 16 boxes for 100 people. If the jars of sauce are 24 ounce jars, then 25 jars for 100 people.

palateexpress likes this.
  5. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Damn it layne i was still calculating /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif. 

Now all i can say is "agreed"... xD 

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you are buying sauce in a jar, it might be worth getting some of the "alfredo" cream sauce instead of all tomato based.  And crushed red pepper and cardboard containers of parm.

mjb.

7. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Maybe provide different variety of cheeses for topping. 

Also over just having pasta , you could make some garlic bread too. 

A few baguettes slices into rounds , butter, oregano, salt, garlic powder etc....

Since this is a fundraiser probably best not to go overboard unless of course you (and others) dont mind spending a few more bucks. 

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Are you joking?

9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If I were (and I am) a home cook who is going to take on a pasta dinner fundraiser for 300 people,

and I'm using pre-made/jarred sauce, I think that I would agree with @teamfat   on this one.

Not everyone's tummies can tolerate tomato based foods, me for one...

my husband gets the red sauce and I simply have my pasta with some EVOO and garlic, I can't even eat the cheese very often.

Food allergies/reactions/intolerances are becoming more prevalent.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I was actually more surprised by the green containers of "cheese" suggestion.

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If it were me I certainly wouldn't grate enough for 300 people by hand.  But I would buy better the cardboard stuff.

mjb.

12. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014