help creating a vegetarian charcuterie board?

Joined Oct 16, 2018
planning a charcuterie board for a special occasion with my wife in early march and was hoping for a bit of advice.

she's vegetarian, so it needs to be designed sans meat

so far, i am thinking...

-cheeses: gouda, triple cream brie, goat and manchego (is this too many?) (neither of us care for blues)
-fruit: I'm thinking fig, pear, and grapes - would like something else, like cherries, but i don't think they'll be available yet
-salted almonds and candied pecans
-olives (could probably use something else salty, like cornichons? or no?
-honeycomb + homemade jam(not sure of which fruit?)
-demi baguette + crackers

this is just preliminary, and my initial ideas, so fee free to recommend changes.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Potted mushrooms gives a savory spread like a pate.

Smoked deviled eggs for some smoky savoriness. Or maybe as an egg salad.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I also think some sort of mushroom component would be good. Pickled, or maybe just raw portabella bites with a nutmeg infused mayo?

mjb.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
Any sort of tapanade, pesto variations, baba ganouj, chutneys, moutarda, or one of a 1000 different bean dips....

Joined Jun 28, 2017
Great thread, I love everyone's ideas!

Seasonal vegetable terrine? Vegetable/nut pate? Russian-style eggplant caviar?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Well technically this would not be a charcuterie board, it’s a cheese board.

I’m a big fan of walnut bread with cheese.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I don’t mean to rain on the parade and the news came as a shock when I found out, but none of the cheeses you listed are vegetarian.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Various makers don't use rennet but other enzyme sources. Most cheeses can be found without rennet though not all are as good of quality

Bel goioso brand usually is vegetarian friendly as I recall.

Last edited:
Joined May 5, 2010
...and if Y'all want to get really technical, you can't call it a Charcuterie board because the word itself means smoked and or brined dry meats

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Salsify salami. It would be nice to consult a food chemist on this one, but a mix of butter/oil, combination of fine emulsion and some courser food-processor chop, maybe meat glue or some other modified starch, a casing and there you go. I bet the vegetable oyster would shine here.

Joined Jan 9, 2019
There's some recipes for fried cheese "sausages"
As a host, I'd perhaps make a soft cheese "sausage" for those who like the looks of meat..
Whiz a couple soft & hard cheeses with nuts/dried fruits, roll into a log , chill & slice.

Thinly slice up an old baguette, brush with garlic oil, toast 'em & serve in a basket with a quick bruschetta (canned tomatoes?{tomato only}, garlic, perhaps shallots, basil{spare frozen if you have it}, oregano, black pepper, balsamic, olive oil &.. serve in a separate bowl/w a spoon

Thinly sliced dried apricots, sliced dried dates, a few nuts ( pecans are nice)
..add other things as needed..arranged perfectly..
Plated nicely on one of "them there fancy plates".. ;-)

Last edited:
Joined Nov 15, 2012
Sea Palm is a plump desirable seaweed you can get in dry form and hydrate. Make something like a Cornish meat pie with it, I know similar has been done.

Top Bottom