HELP! Costing Recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hellocatty, Feb 24, 2010.

  1. hellocatty

    hellocatty

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    I Just Like Food
     Hey I'm currently costing a recipe, and the thing that's been giving me trouble is yield % per item.

    In excel our 5 columns are= 
    Quantity
    Ingredient
    AP Unit
    AP Price
    Yield
    Extension

    Okay so I'm using 709 mL of oil out of 3L... so .709/3 = 23.6% yield right????

    Assuming that is correct when I calculate my extension price, (AP Price = 1.44) / (Yield = 23.6) *.709 and I get $4.33

    ... that doesn't seem right. 

    Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? I'm pretty sure it's yield percent... 
     
  2. petemccracken

    petemccracken

    Messages:
    3,401
    Likes Received:
    158
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Are you really "throwing away" the rest of the oil?

    "Yield", to me, is the percentage of AP that results in EP (edible portion).

    So, for the oil, if you purchase 3 L for $1.44, your $/L is $0.48 so your cost for 0.709 L would be $0.34. You ARE planning to use the remaining oil for another purpose, correct?
     
  3. hellocatty

    hellocatty

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I believe so. This is for a class assignment. So I'm trying to calculate my percentage yield because my exptension price is always way over =/
     
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. petemccracken

    petemccracken

    Messages:
    3,401
    Likes Received:
    158
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    IMHO, "percentage yield" refers to EP/AP, i.e. Edible portion divided by As Purchased.

    Example: You purchase an orange for, say $0.99/lb and you want to serve 4 ounces per serving. Oranges have a "yield" of approximately 73%, the other 27% is peel or "waste". Therefore, for each 4 ounce serving you will have to purchase 5 1/3 ounces of oranges or, in other words, for every pound (16 ounces) of oranges AP, you will get approximately 12 ounces of orange EP and 4 ounces will go into the trash.

    So, your "cost per ounce EP" is the "cost per ounce AP" ($0.99/16 = $0.061875) divided by the "yield percentage" (0.73) or $0.062875 / 0.73 = $0.08/ounce or $0.32/four ounce serving.

    Now, DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, work it out for yourself.

    BUT, IMHO, the "yield percentage" for something like oil is 100%, there generally is no "waste" or "trimming".