Help/Advise please!!!

Joined Feb 21, 2020
Hi all, so iv been a Chef almost 20 years and am 39 now. In the past year or so I am getting no real enjoyment cooking professionally anymore. I don't enjoy going in. I don't be thinking of nice specials anymore. I just go in do what needs doing and go home. I am a bit miserable and don't enjoy the stress anymore either. I would like to try work somewhere out of kitchens but all I know is cheffing and I'm good at it. Is there anything I could do that could get me out of kitchens and start enjoying work again and feel motivated? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joined Aug 22, 2021
Are you really a Dublin man? I'm from Dublin too, lets be friends :D

This sounds like a case of professional burn out.

Try this, grab a pen and paper and write down the list of things that you like about cheffing.
Write down a list of the things you dislike.

Post them here and we'll try to brain storm a few ideas, sounds like a plan?

Joined Feb 21, 2020

Try this, grab a pen and paper and write down the list of things that you like about cheffing.

How you doing man? Yep I surely am.from.Dublin. Good to meet you pal. That's what I was afraid it was. Il get cracking on that and get back to you.

Joined Feb 21, 2020

I enjoy doing Costings, rostering, menu planning, I'm.very well organised and hard working. I love plating and taking pictures would like to do food styling.

What I don't enjoy anymore is cooking if that makes any sense. I have no interest in it. When I'm.doing service I just feel like fuck it whatever way will do whereas before I would work spotless, be very particular in what way I cook and plate. I just don't feel the passion for it anymore. And I'm damn good at it. Just sick of same shit different day scenario. I used to love the craic and banter in kitchens but nowadays seems like you can't say anything without landing yourself in trouble people are too sensitive. There is little to no fun anymore and as a chef you gotta enjoy it and have fun.

Joined Aug 22, 2021
Hmmm that's interesting, it may not be burn out....

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are working in a kitchen that knocks out the same stuff over and over again, maybe a carvery? and it's gotten monotonous.

I think your creativity needs an outlet, all chefs are artists at the end of the day, pi$$ artists fnarrr fnarr :D

The other problem is the "woke" culture, where everyone is looking to be offended at something or other. It's a very strong reason to setup your own eatery and only employ guys born in the seventies, these men still have a Billy Connelly'esque sense of humour, and don't take offence easily and don't deliberately seek it out either.

You need to change jobs too, that's a given though, right?

Joined Feb 21, 2020
Hmmm that's interesting, it may not be burn out....

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are working in a kitchen that knocks out the same stuff over and over again, maybe a carvery? and it's gotten monotonous.

I think your creativity needs an outlet, all chefs are artists at the end of the day, pi$$ artists fnarrr fnarr :D

The other problem is the "woke" culture, where everyone is looking to be offended at something or other. It's a very strong reason to setup your own eatery and only employ guys born in the seventies, these men still have a Billy Connelly'esque sense of humour, and don't take offence easily and don't deliberately seek it out either.

You need to change jobs too, that's a given though, right?
Ye see that's the thing I only changed jobs a month ago thinking I'd get my spark back but I haven't. Is it strange that d rather work by myself somewhere, People kind of annoy me now. No iv thankfully never worked on a carvery. I trained with the best of chefs so was lucky in a way. I'd love a job in a small restaurant doing a small menu but doing everything from scratch and do it well. Maybe like a little 20 seater. Me one other chef and a kp happy out. You sound like your possibly in your 40s or 50s excuse me if I'm.wrong. but is there anything you could suggest doing outside of kitchens but still food related.

Joined Aug 22, 2021
Ye see that's the thing I only changed jobs a month ago thinking I'd get my spark back but I haven't. Is it strange that d rather work by myself somewhere, People kind of annoy me now. No iv thankfully never worked on a carvery. I trained with the best of chefs so was lucky in a way. I'd love a job in a small restaurant doing a small menu but doing everything from scratch and do it well. Maybe like a little 20 seater. Me one other chef and a kp happy out. You sound like your possibly in your 40s or 50s excuse me if I'm.wrong. but is there anything you could suggest doing outside of kitchens but still food related.
Late forties mate, no offense taken.

Setting up a good food truck would be an exciting opportunity. And it would change your entire working experience. Maybe you could create a you tube channel and post your creativity there?

I wouldn't open up a brick'n'mortar, 90% fail.
If the truck fails you can easily shift it.
But use all of these adventure as YouTube content.

Joined Feb 21, 2020
Late forties mate, no offense taken.

Setting up a good food truck would be an exciting opportunity. And it would change your entire working experience. Maybe you could create a you tube channel and post your creativity there?

I wouldn't open up a brick'n'mortar, 90% fail.
If the truck fails you can easily shift it.
But use all of these adventure as YouTube content.
Wow i have been on facebook today regarding my situation and most people have said the same, to set up a food truck. I just need to sort out the funds first, but myself and my wife have been talking about it the past few weeks. It would be exciting.

Joined Aug 22, 2021
Wow i have been on facebook today regarding my situation and most people have said the same, to set up a food truck. I just need to sort out the funds first, but myself and my wife have been talking about it the past few weeks. It would be exciting.
Whether or not you can do this, is largely dependent on your level of financial freedom.

House paid off, a years money in the bank, and you can start.

Joined May 5, 2010
I was in your situation 23 years ago. I was a banquet Chef overseeing 3,000 meals on a Saturday night with 4 different menus. Talk about burnout!!!
I found an ad for a private Chef gig 400 miles away. I applied and was hired over 126 applicants. I'd found my dream job. I spent 18 years with this family, cooking from scratch, growing my own veggies, butchering my own meat. It was a Chef's dream job.
If you are bored with the restaurant life, you could do the food truck, or hire yourself out as a Private Chef or Personal Chef.
Burn out sucks, You don't even want to get out of bed... I know

Joined Feb 21, 2020
I was in your situation 23 years ago. I was a banquet Chef overseeing 3,000 meals on a Saturday night with 4 different menus. Talk about burnout!!!
I found an ad for a private Chef gig 400 miles away. I applied and was hired over 126 applicants. I'd found my dream job. I spent 18 years with this family, cooking from scratch, growing my own veggies, butchering my own meat. It was a Chef's dream job.
If you are bored with the restaurant life, you could do the food truck, or hire yourself out as a Private Chef or Personal Chef.
Burn out sucks, You don't even want to get out of bed... I know
Hey man how are you? Sounds like a great job you got fair play. I'd LOVE to do something like that but not much of a market for it here in Ireland. I have thought about doing a food truck. But I'm a little bit away from that financially at present. Yeah I dred going to work at present. Don't enjoy it at all

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It sounds lo me as if most solutions to your situation cannot be implemented at this time. Have you considered meditation? Seriously, it beats drugs or other addictions that folks sometimes use as a way to deal with their boredom/burn-out/etc. Try that... and keep your eye on the end goal! Best wishes!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom