Hello!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by maestu, Jun 15, 2002.

1. maestu

maestu

Hello All,

My name is John and I am new to this forum, and very soon entering the first stage of my culinary education and extremely psyched about it.

I was a supervisor for a travel wholesale call center in Fort Lauderdale, but was one of 250 layed off shortly after the 9.11 disaster.

I worked there for 4 years, having not gotten any formal education in anything, I kind of fell into it.

I toyed with the idea of going to school for culinary arts for years, but never having the time or opportunity. Now having been unemployed and the travel idustry not needing many middlemanagement, I now have the time and opportunity.

I'm glad I found this forum, I think I can get some really useful insight and advise from here.

Thanks

J

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Welcome! Keep a close eye on the "Culinary Students" board -- it will answer your questions before you even know you have them.

Any thoughts of combining cooking and the travel industry when you're ready? Resorts (seasonal and year-round), ships -- there are still some opportunities there.

Glad to have you aboard!

3. maestu

maestu

One thing that I am realizing about a culinary career is that there are various options when it comes to what one can do with the proper education and dedication.

At the moment I am mostly concentrating on my education, but exploring different avenues when it comes to careers.

Those are one of the possibilites that attracted me, especially since cooking and traveling are my favorite activities.

Thanks for the tip!

J

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There are many kindred spirits here, Maestu. Must have been tough to be another person economically affected by 9/11. Perhaps you have the right attitude: a door has closed, and you have grasped the handle of another- one that could lead to your true vocation.

Good luck! Browse, learn, post and enjoy. We'll look forward to hearing from you.

5. kimmie

kimmie

Welcome aboard, Maestu. What type of food do you like to cook and eat?

6. maestu

maestu

Thanks a lot Mezzaluna, I am enjoying so far!

Hi Kimmie, Thanks for the welcome.

As far as what I really enjoy cooking, mostly Italian and Cuban food are regular staples. Italian because I have loved it since I was a kid, and Cuban because of my own heritage. Many of the Cuban dishes done in a very traditional manner. But of course I don't always like tradition, so that's where the fun is for me. Being raised in Miami and living just outside of it helps too.

:cool:

See ya around!

7. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk John!

REading your reply to Kimmie's question I realised I know nothing about Cuban food. Will you share your knowledge?