hello

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gungasim, Mar 8, 2013.

1. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi  im new to this website but i hope my many years of cooking knowledge can help you people out  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif,ill be posting many pics and recipes...

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks a lot! Many pro cooks and chefs need help here. They're such a bunch of amateurs.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

3. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    i made a ham 

4. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
  5. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    ham toppings 

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, yes you did! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Edit: Didn't see your other posts at the time. You can actually put your photos all on one post. Just use the insert image button for each one, or if you know how to do a multiple file select you can select them all at once.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    french onion soup-

8. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    london broil 

9. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    louisiana delta hot tamales

10. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    spaghetti with crab

11. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    clam chowder..
    bacon
    taters
    the roux..
    more butter

12. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    gungaSim.. We are a melting pot of cooks and chefs here.. that being said if you want to show how something is being done you need to explain your technique not just show a phase in your cooking "roux" then "more butter" .. please don't take this wrong, Ii'm only saying what others are thinking. You may well have a perfect recipe for clam chowder but please explain to us why that is.

13. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    your right, sorry im new at this i'll write everything out then post it.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

14. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    wings..

The ingredients for the blue cheese sauce....ya got about half an onion, fresh peeled garlic, minced fresh flat leaf parsley, mayo, cayenne pepper, half a lemon for juice, 1/2 cup milk with a splash of white vinegar to curdle it, mayo, and a wedge of blue cheese.....

The onion and garlic goes in a food processor and a few whirls to mince it. Add the parsley. Then divide the blue cheese.....the pile on the left goes in the food processor, the pile on the right gets reserved for later....

Add the blue cheese to the processor, and some cayenne to taste.....give it another few pulses to get this.....

Then add the lemon juice (no pits, please.......[​IMG]), the curdled milk, some fresh ground black pepper, and give another whirl. Then start adding mayo, short pulses in between, and keep adding until you get the consistency you want.

Transfer the sauce to another bowl, and add the reseved blue cheese chunks on top......

It will be a bit thin, but will thicken up as it sits for a few hours in the fridge.

It makes much more than we will need for the wings, but we scoop some out into a serving bowl for dipping the wings into, and then save the rest to use as blue cheese salad dressing later in the week....[​IMG]

They get rinsed, dried, and cut up........the package yielded 34 pieces....

Below are the ingredients for the "tossing sauce".....tomato sauce, half a chopped onion, some chopped garlic, BBQ sauce, Chinese duck sauce, butter, and two types of hot sauce.

First batch of wings laid out on the steamer basket. I decided to use the wok, as it gave me the largest area to have the collapsible steamer basket to lay flat, and give me enough room not to overcrowd them....

Each batch got steamed for about 10 minutes. After steaming, they got laid out on a rack over a Pyrex baking dish.

And then parked in fridge for about an hour and a half....after that, they went in a 450 degree oven for about half an hour.

Meanwhile, I started the sauce.....garlic and onions sautÃted in butter..

And them the BBQ sauce, tomato sauce, duck sauce, and hot sauce added..

After about 15 minutes in the oven, the wings got sprinkled with garlic powder and salt, and then returned to the oven. For the last ten minutes or so, I turned the oven to low broil, and this resulted.....

They were then tossed in the sauce to coat them all over, and any extra sauce spooned over the top. Back in the oven for about 10 minutes, and then they were ready to go...

Verdict is.......they were good, tender and juicy, but frankly I didn't see much, if any, improvement over the usual oven method I use of just roasting them straight from the get go in the oven. And the steaming step just added more work and more dishes to wash (would almost have been easier to just deep fry them and deal with that mess.)

In fact, I think my other oven method yields a crispier skin. I could have crisped these more I suppose, but because the steaming had already par-cooked them, I was afraid that having them in the oven any longer would have overcooked the meat. By cooking in the oven straight out, you have more time to crisp the skin without fear of over-cooking the meat.

15. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    the Perfect Ham Sandwich....

Mine will be some REAL rye bread I brought back from Jersey, both slices slathered with hot mustard and horseradish, a good pile of sliced ham, 2-3 slices of imported Finlandia Swiss cheese, a big slice of red onion, and done.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  16. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Your blue cheese dressing recipe looks great! I've played with one a little using mayo, sour cream, a little lemon juice and good quality block of gorgonzolla. It was great but too rich! I went to hard with the cheese!

Just so you know, you might want to go back up to the forum just to check out the "conversation" and chime in where you can. You have great enthusiasm, and you are willing to take pictures of every step in your process which is a great attitude! I just want to make sure you understand there is a larger conversation going on, that we all take part in (where relevant). I don't want you to sit in your own thread posting and not get responses.

- ES

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  17. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    thanks, i couldnt find the conversation topic?

18. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  19. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    Blue claw crabs - you gotta love them, so whenever I can get my hands on some. I always make the most use of them that I can. This is a great way to get the flavor from those little pieces of crabmeat that you can't seem to get out when you are eating or picking them. I developed this recipe about 18 years ago on one of my first trips to Hatteras, and have been making it ever since.

This "base" can be used for many applications, my favorites being in standard tomato sauce to go over pasta and topped with crabmeat and/or other seafood.

Lobster or other types of crab bodies, shells, and remains can be substituted for the blue crab, and while it is satisfactory, it is just not the same as using the real thing. The shrimp shells are also optional, but if you have them, they are a great addition. Just place the shrimp shells in a sealable freezer bag whenever you make shrimp, and store them in the freezer until you make this recipe.

1 small can of anchovies packed in olive oil

Olive oil as needed

1 - 2 fresh or dried cayenne or other hot red pepper, minced

1 Head of garlic, peeled and chopped (You can save the peels to throw in the pot)

2 Large onions, roughly chopped, skins and all

4 - 5 Ribs celery, roughly chopped

2 - 3 carrots, roughly chopped

Any other vegetable trimmings and remains you may have, such as broccoli stems, leek tops, red or green peppers, etc.

5 - 6 Bay Leaves

2 Tablespoons dried oregano

1 Tablespoon dried thyme

2 Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Shells and remains from about a dozen blue claw crabs, including everything except for the dead man’s fingers, or lungs.

Shells from shrimp, whatever amount you may have

2 - 28 Ounce cans of peeled plum tomatoes

1 - 750 Milliliter bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot

Water, as needed

In a large pot, drain the olive oil from the anchovies and place over medium heat. Add the anchovies and saute until they dissolve. Add the minced hot red pepper, and saute for another moment. Add the garlic and saute until soft.

Add the onions, celery, carrots, and other vegetable trimmings, adding more olive oil if needed. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the bay leaves, oregano, thyme, Old Bay Seasoning, and black pepper and saute for another minute or two to release the flavors.

Add the crab shells and remains, as well as the shrimp shells. Stir altogether, and allow the shells to slightly singe.

Drain the juice from the tomatoes into the pot, and then squish the tomatoes thru your fingers into the pot. Toss together well.

Add the wine and enough water to barely cover the shells. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a low simmer, and partially cover. Simmer for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally.

Using tongs, remove the large crab top shells, being sure to drain any liquid back into the pot.

Place a large colander over another large pot or bowl, and strain the liquid thru it.

Move the colander to another large pot or bowl, and in batches, place the vegetables and remaining crab shells, legs and other remains in the colander. Using a meat mallet or large metal spoon, press down on the contents of the colander to remove all the liquid and juices. Be sure to scrap the underside of the colander into your pot, as a lot of "yummies" will collect there.

Combine all of the liquid in a suitable pot, place over medium high heat, and reduce by about half. The sauce base, when reduced, should be the consistency of light cream.

The base will be very rich, and perhaps a tad salty, so be sure to keep the salt content in mind when using it in various applications. It freezes quite well for years. I freeze mine in shallow Tupperware containers, and then I can cut out "cubes" of the frozen base to add to various recipes.

Makes about 6 cups of Sauce Base.

20. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    In an effort to use up more of the left over pork from last week, decided to make some egg rolls yesterday.........

Carrot for the mandolin, thinnest julienne blade used

[​IMG]

Julienned and cut in short pieces...

[​IMG]

Some napa cabbage...

[​IMG]

Julienned by hand....

[​IMG]

Scallions....

[​IMG]

Slice these down the middle, including the individual green parts.....

[​IMG]

Then slice up into short pieces.....

[​IMG]

Bamboo shoots and water chestnuts....

[​IMG]

Julienne those as well.....

[​IMG]

Fresh ginger.....use the teaspoon to peel it.....

[​IMG]

Half of it minced, half of it grated on the microplane....

[​IMG]

Garlic that got minced up....

[​IMG]

And one small hot pepper for just a touch of heat.....mince that fine...

[​IMG]

Bunch of shredded/chopped pork.......

[​IMG]

Soy and Oyster Sauce........

[​IMG]

ALMOST forgot the sesame oil.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some mung bean sprouts....

[​IMG]

Threw a bit of olive oil in a wok, and stir fried the veggies.......first the garlic, minced ginger, hot pepper, and carrots for a minute, then add the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots, then add the cabbage, then add the green onions. Total stir fry time was about 3 minutes. Transferred to a bowl......

[​IMG]

More oil, garlic, and the grated ginger.....

[​IMG]

Then add the pork and just warm thru....Add some soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil, and stir fry until it is mostly evaporated.....Add the meat to the veggies and combine. Add some bean sprouts and toss them in. Let the mixture cool a bit.

The egg roll wrappers......

Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the wrapper in a line point to point.....brush the edges with an egg wash as glue...

Fold the bottom point up to the center....

Then draw the side points toward the center.

Then roll the whole thing to close and seal.

So.......fried off two of them for lunch....few inches of canola oil . They browned up within about 90 seconds........

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013