Joined Jun 19, 2011
I came here because someone on The Fresh Loaf thought this looked like a cooking forum with some activity. It wasn't me who asked the question, but I followed the link and decided it looks interesting here.

I cook because I like to eat good food, and can't afford to eat at good restaurants. I like many types of food. Sometimes I follow recipes. Sometimes the result looks like the picture. Sometimes it tastes right but looks a little funny. Sometimes I just put things together that seem like they should go together. Sometimes this works out and sometimes it doesn't. My husband is happy with my cooking 98% of the time, and we usually agree on the other 2% so we are both happy.

After personally retiring from a lifetime of working in chemical research, computer programming and network installation, and management of a family business, I had to wait for a few years until my husband got a steady retirement income. Now I am equipping my kitchen, or in some instances re-equipping it, with all the small appliances I hope to need until I die. I started my cooking renaissance in the bread arena, where I hadn't had the time before to experiment to my heart's content. That being well on its way, I thought I would start seeing what else I don't know very much about.
Last edited:
Joined Jan 5, 2007
Welcome - you've hit a goldmine here if you are interested in broadening your knowledge!  We have members from around the globe (I'm Scots, for example) and all levels of culinary expertise, from those just starting out on their culinary adventures to masterchefs and all stages in between. I'm in the enthusiastic amateur group.   It makes for interesting conversations - but always civilised!

The photographs, wikis, blogs, reviews and articles on here are well worth spending time to view.  Inspirational for many of us.  Feel free to join in on any thread you find interesting, or start your own in the relevant forum. Please note, though, that the professional fora are read-only for those of us who are not presently employed in any of the culinary trades (but they still make interesting reading!)

Hope to see you around the boards. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom