Hello!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by madeline, Sep 20, 2010.

1. madeline

madeline

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi! I just joined the website, and I wanted to say hello. I'm relatively new to the world of cooking as a hobby.

I don't cook as often as I'd like. When I do, I'm rather systematic about it. I usually take a recipe that has good reviews online. Then I cook it, take notes, make adjustments, cook it again, take more notes, make more adjustments, and stop when it's perfect. By the time I get to the perfect dish, I'm bored with it, and I move on to the next (but at least I've got the perfect recipe on hand!). Has anyone else had this experience?

Eventually, I want to be able to make my own recipes. I think I have the creativity in principle. (If it helps, I'm a web designer by day, and I write fiction occasionally.) But I don't have a culinary background. I would love to learn more about how food works, e.g., what individual ingredients do to a dish besides add flavor.

I'd also love to learn how to cook healthy food, fast. I know, fast and healthy don't usually belong in the same sentence; but I think, with the right ingredients and techniques, there are many possibilities!

I'm looking forward to checking out the forums. I hope I can learn a lot from you guys, and I also hope that I'll be able to contribute my own knowledge and experiences over time. /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome, Madeline. I think you're going to find we've got a lot of good information on the topics you've listed. For instance,
     Check out the Special Guest forum with Harold McGee and you'll have made a good start. Use the search tool here and you'll probably find more. (Please remember: we're all welcome to read and browse in the Professionals' forums, but home cooks like you and I must consider them as "read only".)

I hope you enjoy exploring and participating here at ChefTalk. Let us know if you have questions about the site.

Welcome!

Mezzaluna

3. madeline

madeline

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Mezzaluna!