Hello

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by alynch, Jun 24, 2005.

1. alynch

alynch

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello Friends

It has been over a year since I posted and I thought I should just reintroduce myself. I enjoyed reading and contributing to the discussions when I was in culinary school and I am looking forward to doing it again.

I graduated culinary school 2 years ago and have been moving through the hotel line cook ranks since. I am about to make the jump into management and I am very excited/nervous about it. I will be running a banquet kitchen with a staff of 10, food and labor cost will be my responsibility as well as purchasing.

Does anyone have any advice to keep me from falling flat on my face?

Thanks

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Sure: come back here often! Since you've been here before, you know about the professional chefs' forums. Dive in and get comfortable!

Welcome back,
    Mezzaluna

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    welcome back. a couple of words of advice, with purchasing, if you can buy generic products rather than the name brands, it will save you $$. Make work a game for your staff, if they're having fun, they'll work more productively. And most times that will lead to them getting tasks done ahead of schedule, that way they can leave work early, saving you on labor costs too. I recently started a new job, and that is one thing that our chef does, he makes the job fun. We get our work done, and we don't feel pressured to meet deadlines, plus we're not running around at service time, trying to find things.