Hello! This looks like a really neat forum :)

Joined Aug 24, 2018
Hi. I'm Jonathan. I'm from Michigan, currently in South Carolina...I'm nothing more than a home cook that samples food from amazing restaurants as if it was my religion! :) I'm always aspiring to make amazing food, but don't have many resources in my area to learn from.

I have a deep love for art and culture. I work as a professional musician and studio engineer. I see there are a lot of experienced pro chefs and restaurateurs on this site, I hope I can still ask you guys a few questions! Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys :)

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Welcome to CT Jon!

Are you a yooper?

You can absolutely get some help here with cooking related stuff! Cooking has a lot of parallels with music. You build a repertoire of skills starting with basics like ingredient knowledge and techniques. You wouldn't ask a beginner musician just learning an instrument to play a Lydian circle of fifths in 7... I think learning how to deal with onions is like learning the names of the notes in a scale. Virtually every cuisine on the planet uses onions making it one of the most common ingredients in savory foods. Ok, I'll stop the analogies!

There are so many variables please be specific with your questions, if possible.

We could start with helping improve your favorite meal...

Joined Aug 24, 2018
Hi SGM :)

I see now that there are other food hobbyists on this site. I realized after looking around a bit a that as I don't post something like 'help me understand my can opener' in the professional section I should be fine lol.

I think it was a good idea that this site set up a pro section and a general questions section. That way one group doesn't get intimidated and the other get annoyed. I won't bother those guys unless I have some type of question that you'd have to be a pro chef to be able to comment on.

Joined Aug 24, 2018
Cooking has a lot of parallels with music. You build a repertoire of skills starting with basics like ingredient knowledge and techniques. You wouldn't ask a beginner musician just learning an instrument to play a Lydian circle of fifths in 7... I think learning how to deal with onions is like learning the names of the notes in a scale. Virtually every cuisine on the planet uses onions making it one of the most common ingredients in savory foods. Ok, I'll stop the analogies!

Dude! I'm TOTALLY seeing those parallels as I've gotten serious about improving my food. Sounds like you know a thing or two about music. When I'm recording music we place a big emphasis on the quality the source. That's the players instrument. I tend to think of the quality the starting ingredients on that level. I've also noticed an incredible amount of craft related parallels. Not over seasoning is probably akin to not overplaying. Not trying to play 10 different solo concepts in an 8 bar measure is sort of like not trying to cram every spice in your pantry into a single bowl of chicken soup. Less-is-more is a real popular notion amongst pro musicians...'less' seems that it can be very elegant when the simplicity of a concept is perfectly executed. Conductors work hard to make different instruments shine at different times in different ways. I think of flavor profiles (sweet, salty, spicy, tart etc...) as strings, brass, horns, woodwinds, and I tend to think of the bend of food flavors just like a balanced symphony. Too much of any good thing ruins the performance ;)

The way we build and develop textures and flavors and depth in music is very similar. When I mix a track I recorded, its really about controlling the sources with the end vision in mind. Or the way you can add to a composition mid-way through often reminds me of how chefs message seasoning into a dish as its cooking (like Risotto I think) to evolve the flavors.

Oh! And pairings!!! Totally a parallel. Food and wine. App, entree, dessert. If the instrument/players are the ingredients and the composer/conductor is the chef, then the concert is the meal...right? The entire album or the concert program has to have some continuity or the whole experiences is pretty confusing, regardless of how good each individual course was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom