Hello people

Joined Mar 23, 2003
Hello people. I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Just came across this and found it very interesting!!

I'm not a chef though but cooking interests me quite a bit. I'm working towards setting up my own business in the food industry. Hence, I can't wait to chat with people like you out there.

Wanee

Joined Aug 29, 2000
We're glad you found us, Wanee. What kinds of cooking do you do? There are many of us amateurs here, and we want to welcome you to our community. Please read and share! We'll look forward to your posts.

Mezzaluna

Joined Mar 23, 2003
Hi Mezzaluna

Thanks for your kind words. I'm alright with Chinese cooking but my passion lies not so much in gourmet cooking but more of , cookies, pastries and other sweet stuff.

I am looking for ideas and hopefully to build up my plan for a cookie business, which i am at the moment having it as a part time basis. Gathering info from the other part of the world would be wonderful in terms of introducing new and fresh ideas to this part of the world where i'm at.

Therefore, i am indeed glad to have found you guys and can't wait to chat further.

Oh, i have posted a cooking ? and would be happy to receive your views.

Tah Tah

Joined Mar 23, 2003
Thanks Isa for your welcome note. I surely will need all the luck in my cookie quest.

Wanee

Joined Mar 23, 2003
I am quite new to my cookie business. Been doing it for about 3 years. So i am still experimenting and hunting for suitable cookie recipe that will fit into my kind of supply.

Well, ideally it would have to be something that can be stored in an airtight container for about 2 months or so. This is because, i am working towards my concept of "back to basics" where the product is classified as homemade, free of preservatives & additives, low in sugar, etc. Therefore it would not have a shelf life of more than 2-3 months and incidentally, it has to be free of cream or jam or other sticky stuff. Further, i am trying to introduce to the community and break into the market where i live, the concept of gourmet cookies. By this, i mean cookies with a different touch from the normal ones that you get from the supermart shelves.

I have supplied cookies with butter as the basics and varied with different tastes such as chocolate, orange, etc. I have also done one which i called it almond puff. This is made from puff pastry with almond flakes. This was quite a success in that it was very well received coz it was a very light puffy pastry doubled up as a cookie. This is something which i would like to have suggestions and ideas as to how to have variations from this basic puff pastry. Do you get me???? I hope i have got the message across.

The other type of recipe that i am very much interested is one which is savoury. There are plenty with cheese but i would want something other than cheese. Could you help?

Wanee :)

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Wanee,

How about rosemary and olive?

You might attract even more ideas if you post this in another forum, such as recipe exchange or one of the pastry forums.

Good luck!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
You can find a number of savoury recipes in Tish Boyle's The Good Cookie and in Nick Malgieri's Cookies Unlimited.

Joined Mar 23, 2003
Thanks guys for the info. Just wondering how do i go about using rosemary & olive. I haven't a clue!! Would it be a "herbie" cookie?

ARe those American books, Isa? I'm doubtful if i could get it my where i live.

Wanee

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Yes they are Americain books. I am sure online boostore would ship them to you.

Have you tried searching the net for recipes? I am sure you would find more than you need online.

Joined Mar 23, 2003
Great help Isa. Haven't done that yet. Guess there are plenty but the problem is that most of them don't come with pictures. You know how a recipe is more appealing if it's with a picture. Wouldn't mind searching for it there but........do you think you could and be kind enough to let me in to some interesting sites to peek a boo?

thanks
Wanee

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
You're opening a business and you want to use other people pictures? That is illegal. Find recipes that are appeling to you, try them out and take pictures of the results.

Joined Mar 23, 2003
I think it's not so much as using someone else's picture but rather to give me an idea what it looks like and from there, it will lead me to create something else along that. Guess i'm not that creative on my own, eh? - having to look at something else before i can create!!

Please excuse me as i'm still very raw in this line. I suppose being creative is part of a chef's portfolio, am i right?

Wanee

Top Bottom