Hello my darlings

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by dear abby, Mar 7, 2002.

1. dear abby

dear abby

Dear Abby has wandered into Chef Talk from another site which positively lauded this lovely forum. She can certainly tell at a glance that this is a very fine place to be.

Dear Abby is not a chef. You may consider her to be an mere dilettante. But, my dears, she has a keen appreciation for fine food and she looks forward to becoming a member of this fine community.

She misses her little heart icon and her beautiful avatar, however.

Abby

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome Dear Abby. Hope you find the forums fun and helpful!!!

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello, Dear Abby, and welcome to Chef Talk. Please tell us a bit about yourself and your culinary interests.

4. dear abby

dear abby

My dearest Pete and Mezzaluna,

Dear Abby would like to thank you for your kind welcome to this lovely forum. She is learning so much already and she has been here such a short time.

She will tell you a little personal information as was requested by the adorable Mezzaluna. Dear Abby would like to say first, however, that she finds that name to be delightful!

Dear Abby has rather eclectic taste. She loves many varieties of cuisine - provided it is well prepared. She does not, however, enjoy the cooking. She employs the redoubtable Chef Henri for this purpose.

Chef Henri is, of course, classically trained and does not hold with the new gadgets. Dear Abby found him speaking into the computer mouse one day, it was very sad. Henri is rapidly approaching 70 years of age but remains in tip-top shape due to his diet of yoghurt and merlot.

Thus, Dear Abby has come to find exciting new ideas and recipes for Henri. She is so very pleased with the caliber of information at Chef Talk. Dear Abby looks forward to being bosom beaus with each and every one of you wonderful chefs.

Abby

5. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    dear abby, your writing style is so familiar. have you posted on other food sites or this very one?

welcome in any case and enjoy the discussions of food, wine and cookery in general!

could you ask please chef henri if he knows the tv personality from the 1950's thru 60's, the "global zobal"? thank you in advance for your kind help.

6. dear abby

dear abby

Dear m brown,

Dear Abby is very pleased to meet you. While Dear Abbey has not been a new girl for some few decades, she is, in fact, a new girl in this forum.

She asked Chef Henri about the "global zobal" but he is very close mouthed about the past. He muttered something about resistance and bullfights which Dear Abby did not understand. Of course, Henri had been rearranging the wine cellar again and was not at his best when she spoke to him.

C'est le vie.

Abby

7. kimmie

kimmie

Warm welcome to Cheftalk, dear Abby.

Along with mbrown, your writing style seems so familiar. Could you be...? :rolleyes:

8. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, well, well...

Whom do we have here...

I am sure Dear Abby your presence would ask for hand-kissing.
    Helas! The virtual circumstancies of our acquaintance or should I say meeting, do not allow such demonstrations of nobility...

Dear Abby, my mother was thinking exactly what N.Ephron's mother thought and she ended up with a cooking maniac and obsessed daughter.
    Shall I send her to you for advice?

Because, for the Chef Talkers that don't know, "Ask Dear Abby. She knows everything" ;)

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you're really who you say you are, Dear Abby, then why do you refer to yourself in the 3rd person??

Welcome, oh familiar one.;)

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Abby:

Is your name Abigail (sp?) Van Buren, sister to Ann Landers? Forgive me if I revealed your true identity.

-T

11. nancya

nancya

Dear Abby,

Like Athenaeus, I have met you on another forum. Welcome to Chef Talk, I think you will enjoy it here. There are lots of really smart people here and I learn something new practically everyday!!!

Nancy

12. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Dear Dear Abby,

We are absolutely thrilled that you have chosen us to grace with your presence. You are sure to find many worthwhile topics and worthy discussants here. We look forward to battles of wits (at least half) -- all in the spirit of inquiry, never inquisition. Welcome!

13. isa

isa

Isa would like to welcome you to Chef Talk. :)

14. dear abby

dear abby

Oh, my darlings. Once again Dear Abby must express her sincere gratitude at the warm welcome accorded her. The hospitality she has found at Chef Talk is only exceeded by that of the late maharajah.

She continues to be rather befuddled by the references as to who she is. She is Dear Abby! of course. Alas, my darling kokopuffs, she has never actually claimed to be that Dear Abby.

Athenaeus and nancya, my pets, Dear Abby understands that she has met you on another forum. She does not recognize the names, however. Perhaps you would care to whisper them to her?

Kiss! Kiss! to all!

Abby

15. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Tell Henri to lay off the grape juice Abby.

Just a quick welcome to cheftalk, I hope you find this place as fun, interesting, and of course exciting as I do;)

so, you seem to be quite the traveler Abby, were are you from?
    and is it hard to type in "the third party"

anyway, welcome and enjoy
    :chef:
    cc

16. dear abby

dear abby

Thank you for your kind welcome, M. le Chef Cuisinier de Cap.

Dear Abby has been so much enjoying herself here. She finds this forum to be interesting and informative. If Chef Henri throws a large spoon at her, so be it.

Henri, my dear Chef, is a confirmed enophile. On two different occasions he has stayed at the spa of the former first lady but to no avail. Henri, in addition to being a simply marvelous chef, has been with Dear Abby and her late husband for many years. Abby would never truly consider letting him go.

Dear Abby would like to tell you a little more about herself, since you and others have expressed much interest. She has indeed traveled extensively, but currently makes her home in Tucson, Arizona. Her personal physician suggested this locale for health reasons, but she finds it tiresome to stay in one place. Dear Abby is visiting dear friends on their bison ranch in Wyoming and Montana. These friends have kindly allowed her to seek solace in their home. Abby finds this rural area to be comforting as she grieves. She does not repine, however. She and her darling George had many grand adventures together. Perhaps, if it is appropriate, she will share some of these adventures here. Dear Abby will continue to travel. She plans to visit some dear friends in Chicago soon.

Dear Abby hopes, dear Cape Chef, that her little affectation of speech does not overly disturb you. She has had this habit for some years and finds it to be tres amusant!

Bonsoir.

Abby

17. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Abby,

Is your Henri, the same Henri of the White house fame?

Even though I am not used to reading or listening to someone as a "third person" I won't make an issue out of it.

Honestly, I am more interested in talking to Henri about his love of the grape.

We share this virtue.

also, if henri throws his spoon, he will not know who's stirring the pot.

(borrowed from a friend, sorry)

anyway, feel well, have fun, and stay cool
    cc

18. dear abby

dear abby

Je suis si désolé, my dear Cape Chef. Chef Henri will not use the computer. It is very sad.

Bonsoir.

Abby

19. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Talking using the third person instead of the first , as if you are talking on behalf of yourself, was a very common habbit , almost a fashion just before WWII.

All the come-il -faux and sic ladies loved to talk like this.

I am used to it. My grandma used to do this when she wanted to tease us or she wanted to show that she is announcing something important.

In the European Literrature of our days, the third person is used by writters when they want to show self-sarcasm :)

I just mention all these because I am positive that Dear Abby is not mocking at us. It's her self sarcastic style.Wait to see her real avatar. It's great!!

I personally love this style Dear Abby and I dare to say in public what the majority has confessed in PMs.

I wish I have thought first to create this persona :)

As long as we have polite and intresting posts in a language we all understand.... why not ;)

Your pet ( I laughed hard with that) that waits for your inputs regarding kitchen.

:)