Hello! Let's Talk!

SGC

Joined Oct 23, 2018
Like many new posters to this forum, I likely have some of the very same questions about catering companies. I have sifted through the threads and there certainly is helpful information throughout, so I wanted to thank everyone that posts in response.

My story begins with me wanting to take part in a certain reality cooking show (Canada version) in order to start a catering company with some fireworks. I realized that while my savoury skills were quite good, I had a significant deficiency in desserts, particularly baking. So I began baking all the time, which meant that I took all the baking goods into my office to pawn off on co-workers... which ultimately had me helping some of them out with their events (started with an appetizer party). That turned into co-workers telling their friends and I was on my way without the show. To be honest, donating to local charity auctions was the best thing I could do on a number of levels... help the charity out, I get to give back to my community, and I get free advertising and exposure.

Now four years later, I have a catering company (side business to my regular job) which is very well received. I portray my services as fine dining in your home, which allows me to provide top quality food (local as much as possible) in a small city that boasts no fine dining restaurants. That's me in a nutshell.

With that, I wanted to thank everyone in advance for any help I may seek out... I am always interested in tried and tested recipes/dishes that work for catering of this type... I am always keen to hear how different people price their dinners; note that I am mostly serving 4-course meals comprised of salad, appetizer, entree and dessert (proteins for appy and entree only). I will always bring a server with me for parties of eight (8) or more since my only complaint in the four years has been a temperature issue with the main course at a party of eight.

~~SGC~~

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Greetings SGC,

Welcome to CT and there are people here than can help or at least offer opinion on the topic of your choice!

Joined May 5, 2010
Welcome to ChefTalk SGC. I am a retired Chef with 47 years behind me.

I opened a "Island Dining Services" here where I live and am doing what you are doing. I offer intimate dinners for two to catering up to 200. I also offer personal Chef services as well.

I can not cook in my home so I advertise that all the prep is done in their own home or facility.

Like you, I offer 4 courses or multi-course meals. I cook from scratch and utilize local products as best I can.

My pricing situation takes into account many different sides. Since I live on an island, I have to charge a service fee if I can not find product at the stores here.
I also charge by the hour for my time.
In my situation however, I can not buy wholesale and therefore buying retail and passing the cost on to the client.
I have done many high end parties and enjoy the many people I have met so far.
I wish you luck. If you have any questions please feel free.

Top Bottom