hello, I'm new!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by betheeo, Dec 31, 2001.

1. betheeo

betheeo

Hello everyone, I am new here, and probably one of the younger ones I'm sure. I love cooking and would love become a chef and own my own restaurant and thought I would see what you all had to say about your experiences so far. I'm a junior in highschool and the big question of what i am going to do with my life has suddenly become the focus of many of my conversations. I have always had a passion for cooking~it relaxes me and makes me feel so good to see other people enjoying my meals. Anyway, that aside, I just was wondering what you all had to say. I really want to go to school somewhere here in CA and then possibly go to the Culinary institute in New York, but I dont really know much about it. Where did you all go and how were your experiences? I would love to hear your stories--i'm just beginning to explore my options and would love to get some advice. Thanks for your time!

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It's nice to have you here, bettheo.

There are quite a few high school students who have come here asking the same questions. I suggest you check out the students forum, where you'll find lots of advice on schools, and cooking as a career, in general. As long as you know what the realities of the business are, you can make a sound decision on whether it's the right choice for you. Most of us who stay in the business are not in it for the big money or glamour or fame. A lot of people misunderstand that it is not that at all for most of us. But if you simply love to cook, like you said, than this may be a perfect career for you. BTW, CIA also has a school in California (Greystone). Good luck, and we look forward to more posts from you.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Betheeo,

Welcome to cheftalk, As Momoreg said there is some super info in the Culinary students forum. I think that it is great that at your age you are looking towards your future goals. BTW, CIA at Greystone is a fantasic place to study. I have enjoyed taking some courses out there. Very condusive to learning.
    good luck
    cc

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to ChefTalk, betheeo. You are fortunate to know so young (I am presuming you are young at heart, at least!) what you want to do. Peruse the forums here, post questions as often as you like, and enjoy yourself here.

5. kimmie

kimmie

Hello Betheeo, and welcome to Cheftalk!

:D

6. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk Betheeo !

7. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Welcome! Good for you for taking your future so seriously! It really pays off to invest the time researching a career well before jumping into it. I don't know how old you are but eventually you might be able to to ask a chef to tag along or work part time for him or her. It's the best way to really find out if cooking is meant for you. Hope you enjoy the forums!